Electric Potential Energy with Three Postive Charges

• Thread starter starthorn
  • Start date

Homework Statement

You have 3 charges, all +2.5 μC arranged on a field at positions (-3.0 cm, 0), (3.0 cm, 0), and (0, 3.0 cm). I have already calculated the stored electric potential energy to be 3.85 J. The question is: If the third charge (0, 3.0 cm) is released from rest, what is its change in electric potential energy?

Homework Equations

EPE=(Kq1q2)/r12

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking that since the charge is released, it will be pushed away into inifinity and therefore the change in electric potential energy will be the negative value of the electric potential energy stored when it is at rest, but I am admittedly having a hard time thinking about potential and kinetic energy in terms of charge. I am definitely looking for more of a theoretical explanation than an explanation of the steps of the math. I am capable of doing the math, but I'm not sure where to start.
Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Electrical potential energy for a charge at a given point is defined as the negative of work done in bringing the charge from infinity to that given point. So, once released, it does get pushed back to infinity where the potential energy is zero. So your reasoning is correct that the change is

[tex]\Delta U = U_{final} - U_{initial}[/tex]

or

[tex]\Delta U = -U_{initial}[/tex]

Awesome, thank you so much, Infinitum!