1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential for an axial quadrupole

1. Oct 11, 2011 #1
    Find the electric potential for an axial quadrupole: point charges q, -2q, q over the z axis at distances l,0,l from the origin. Find the electric potential only for distances r>>l and demonstrate that the potential is proportional to one of the zonal armonics.

Well, I found at wikipedia that an axial multipole has an electric potential given by:
    [tex]\Phi(r)=\frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0 r}\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}qa^k \left ( \frac{1}{r^{k+1}} \right ) P_k(\cos\theta)[/tex]

But I don't know how to apply this to my problem. I don't know neither what the zonal armonics are.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2011 #2

kuruman

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Zonal harmonics are functions of the form

φn=rnPn(cosθ) or φn=r-(n+1)Pn(cosθ) where Pn(cosθ) are Legendre polynomials.

In relation to your problem, first find the potential using simple superposition of three point charges, then expand in Taylor series for r>>l. You should get something that matches the functional dependence of one of the two forms. Can you predict which one?

4. Oct 11, 2011 #3
    Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook