Electric potential of a solid copper sphere

In summary, we have an isolated solid copper sphere with a positive charge of 6.4x10^-9 C and a radius of .12m. The electric potential at a point .10m from the center was originally thought to be 0 because the charge is on the surface of the sphere. However, this is incorrect as the electric potential does not work exactly like Gauss' law and the location of the charge does matter. The electric potential at a point .24m from the center was calculated using V=kQ/R, but the incorrect distance of .12m was used for R because the charge is at the surface of the sphere. Instead, the distance should be calculated using an integral over all the charges. The answer can
bfusco

Homework Statement

An isolated solid copper sphere of radius .12m has a positive charge of 6.4x10^-9 C.
i) calculate the electric potential at a point .10 m from the center of the sphere.
ii)calculate the electric potential at a point .24 m from the center of the sphere.

The Attempt at a Solution

i) originally i thought the answer was 0 because since the sphere is copper it is conducting, so all the charge is on the surface of the sphere so at a distance .1 m (not reaching the surface) i assumed the potential was 0. i now know that this is incorrect. if someone could explain that to me i would appreciate it. is it because the electric potential doesn't work exactly like Gauss' law in that where the charge is matters.

ii)i used the equation V=kQ/R, however instead of using the .24 meters from the center, i used .12 m as R because the charge is at the surface, so a point .12m away from the surface of the sphere is only .12 m away from the charge. its apparently wrong and i don't understand why.

Physics news on Phys.org
bfusco said:
i) originally i thought the answer was 0 because since the sphere is copper it is conducting, so all the charge is on the surface of the sphere so at a distance .1 m (not reaching the surface) i assumed the potential was 0. i now know that this is incorrect. if someone could explain that to me i would appreciate it. is it because the electric potential doesn't work exactly like Gauss' law in that where the charge is matters.
You're right that all the charge would be on the surface of the sphere. But this does not mean the potential is zero inside the sphere. You should really try to do the second problem, so you can work out the potential at the surface of the sphere, then you can work out what it should be inside the sphere.

bfusco said:
ii)i used the equation V=kQ/R, however instead of using the .24 meters from the center, i used .12 m as R because the charge is at the surface, so a point .12m away from the surface of the sphere is only .12 m away from the charge. its apparently wrong and i don't understand why.
You've used the equation V=kQ/R, and used the distance R to mean the distance from the nearest point on the sphere to wherever you are calculating V to be. But of course, the charge is going to be spread all over the surface of the sphere, so you should really be doing an integral over all the charges, where R is a variable. But luckily, the answer is quite simple for a charge distribution which is spread over the surface of a sphere, so you shouldn't have to do an annoying integral. Think about the symmetry of the problem. You've mentioned Gauss' law, so try to use that to show the answer.

1. What is the electric potential of a solid copper sphere?

The electric potential of a solid copper sphere is the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at any point inside or on the surface of the sphere. It is a scalar quantity and is measured in volts (V).

2. How is the electric potential of a solid copper sphere calculated?

The electric potential of a solid copper sphere can be calculated by dividing the electric potential energy by the amount of charge on the sphere. It can also be calculated by using the formula V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the electric potential of a solid copper sphere?

The electric potential of a solid copper sphere is affected by the amount of charge on the sphere, the distance from the center of the sphere, and the medium surrounding the sphere. It is also affected by the presence of other charged objects nearby.

4. Can the electric potential of a solid copper sphere be negative?

Yes, the electric potential of a solid copper sphere can be negative. This means that the electric potential energy is decreasing as the distance from the center of the sphere increases. It is also possible for the electric potential to be zero, which means that there is no potential energy at that point.

5. How does the electric potential of a solid copper sphere relate to electric potential energy?

The electric potential of a solid copper sphere is directly proportional to the electric potential energy. This means that as the electric potential increases, so does the electric potential energy. The relationship between the two can be represented by the formula V = U/Q, where U is the electric potential energy and Q is the amount of charge on the sphere.