Electric Potential Of Charged Finite Rod

In summary, the problem involves a thin rod with uniformly distributed charge along its length, extending along the z-axis from z=-d to z=d with a charge density of lambda. The potential at point P1 on the z-axis with coordinates (0,0,2d) can be calculated using the equation V = k * integral of lambda dz'/z. The boundaries for the integral are from d to 3d, and the solution is lambda * k * ln(3). The second part of the problem involves finding an equal potential at point P2 on the x-axis. To solve this, one can use the vector method by summing up (integrating) over all the little possible charges of interest, with the equation V
Dylicious

Homework Statement

A thin rod extends along the z-axis from z=-d to z=d, carrying uniformly distributed charge along it's length with charge density lambda. Calculate the potential at P1 on the z-axis with coordinates (0,0,2d). Then find an equal potential at point P2 somewhere on the x-axis

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried setting up an integral for the potential along the z-axis as such:
V= [tex]\int[/tex](1/4[tex]\pi[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]) * [tex]\lambda[/tex]dz/z

but I'm not 100% sure how I should set up the boundaries? Also, since there aren't going to be any actual number answers I'm unsure as to how to equivocate my answer to some potential on the x-axis.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the equation for V should actually read

[tex] V = k \int \lambda dz'/z[/tex]

if that will help. Whenever a problem in EM is not immediately obvious to me, I always go to vectors.

[tex] V = k \int \lambda dl' \hat{R}/R[/tex]In this case you have R, which is the distance from the charge under consideration to the point of interest, r, which is the distance from the origin to the point of interest, and r', which is the distance from the origin to the charge under consideration. We know that R=r-r', and we need to sum up (integrate) over all the little possible charges of interest.

Give the boundaries and solution a try. You'll know you're on the right track if you get ln3.

I see, I integrated assuming P1 to be the origin, 0, and then from d to 3d and got lambda*K*ln(3) !

Thank You!

Yeah, that's the best way to do this particular set-up. You still have have to do the second part of the problem! :p

P.S. With that vector method I described to use its usually useful to note that (though in the Z part of the problem it didn't really come into play)

[tex]\hat{R}=\mathbf{R}/R[/tex]

Hello,

To calculate the potential at P1 on the z-axis, we can use the equation V = k * Q / r, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the total charge on the rod, and r is the distance from the point to the charged rod. In this case, we will need to break up the rod into small segments and integrate over them.

Assuming that the rod has a total charge Q = lambda * 2d, we can set up the integral as follows:

V1 = k * lambda * ∫ dz / √(z^2 + 4d^2)

To evaluate this integral, we can use the substitution u = z / (2d), which gives us:

V1 = (2kdλ / d) * ∫ du / √(u^2 + 1)

This integral can be solved using the inverse hyperbolic sine function, giving us:

V1 = (2kdλ / d) * asinh(u) + C

To find the potential at point P2 on the x-axis, we can use the same equation but with a different distance r. Since the point P2 is on the x-axis, the distance from the point to the charged rod will be r = √(x^2 + 4d^2). Therefore, the potential at P2 can be calculated as:

V2 = k * lambda * ∫ dx / √(x^2 + 4d^2)

Using the same substitution as before, we get:

V2 = (2kdλ / d) * ∫ du / √(u^2 + 1)

which simplifies to:

V2 = (2kdλ / d) * asinh(u) + C

To find the point on the x-axis where the potential is equal to V1, we can set V1 = V2 and solve for x. This will give us the location of P2 on the x-axis where the potential is equal to V1.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions or need further clarification.

Best,

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge that a particle or object has at a certain point in space.

How is electric potential of a charged finite rod calculated?

The electric potential of a charged finite rod can be calculated using the formula V = kλ ln(b/a), where k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the linear charge density of the rod, and a and b are the distances from the rod's endpoints to the point where the electric potential is being measured.

What is the relationship between electric potential and electric field?

Electric potential and electric field are closely related. Electric field is the force per unit charge experienced by a particle at a certain point in space, while electric potential is the work done per unit charge to move a particle from one point to another. In other words, the electric field is the gradient of the electric potential.

How does the electric potential of a charged finite rod change with distance from the rod?

The electric potential of a charged finite rod follows an inverse logarithmic relationship with distance from the rod. This means that the electric potential decreases as distance from the rod increases, but the rate of decrease slows down as the distance increases.

What are some real-world applications of the electric potential of a charged finite rod?

One application of the electric potential of a charged finite rod is in electrostatic precipitators, which use charged rods to remove particles from air or gas. Another application is in electrostatic printing, where charged rods are used to attract toner particles to a print drum. Additionally, the electric potential of a charged finite rod is important in understanding and designing electrical circuits and systems.