1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential of hollow conducting sphere

1. Mar 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge conducting hollow sphere and a point charge with radius of sphere and distancestors between their centers

2. Relevant equations

3. The atempt at a solution
    I am unable to find the potential of Shere in presence of external point charge

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Gagandeep, welcome to PF :smile: !

Could you please re-read your post and complete the problem statement ?

We also need something to start with: what equations do you have available to deal with this exercise ?

And the PF guidelines make clear that an effort from you is required. It also helps us determine how to help you affectively -- there is no point in doing the exercise in your place.

4. Mar 6, 2015 #3
    Have the standard data given i.e . Charge of Sphere as Q and of point charge is q, radius of hollow sphere is R and distance b/w their centers is designed.

The equations relevant to my level are Gauss, law and also and colours,so law and using them the standard results

Also it is question that I am thinking for getting my thoughts cleared on potential of sphere in vicinity of external charges.

5. Mar 7, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Excellent. If I understand you well, you have everything you need to attempt a solution and now you want assistance in getting your thoughts cleared. We'll be glad to help. If you share your thoughts, then perhaps we can be of assistance. Over the years I have found that reading someone else's thoughts is not possible.

By the way, making an attempt and showing an effort at solving is mandatory in these fora, for good reasosns. Read the guidelines to find out why. And you should read the guidelines anyway, very useful !.

This is really all well meant. There's lots of useful assistance to be had here. Also on mirror charge methods and related interesting subjects.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted