Electric potential of hollow conducting sphere

In summary, the student is looking for help to solve equations for a homework problem. They have the standard equations available to them and they state that an effort is required.
Gagandeep Singh

Homework Statement

A charge conducting hollow sphere and a point charge with radius of sphere and distancestors between their centers

Homework Equations

[/B]

3. The atempt at a solution
I am unable to find the potential of Shere in presence of external point charge

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Gagandeep, welcome to PF :smile: !

Could you please re-read your post and complete the problem statement ?

We also need something to start with: what equations do you have available to deal with this exercise ?

And the PF guidelines make clear that an effort from you is required. It also helps us determine how to help you affectively -- there is no point in doing the exercise in your place.

Have the standard data given i.e . Charge of Sphere as Q and of point charge is q, radius of hollow sphere is R and distance b/w their centers is designed.

The equations relevant to my level are Gauss, law and also and colours,so law and using them the standard results

Also it is question that I am thinking for getting my thoughts cleared on potential of sphere in vicinity of external charges.

The equations relevant to my level are Gauss, law and also and colours,so law and using them the standard results
Excellent. If I understand you well, you have everything you need to attempt a solution and now you want assistance in getting your thoughts cleared. We'll be glad to help. If you share your thoughts, then perhaps we can be of assistance. Over the years I have found that reading someone else's thoughts is not possible.

By the way, making an attempt and showing an effort at solving is mandatory in these fora, for good reasosns. Read the guidelines to find out why. And you should read the guidelines anyway, very useful !.

This is really all well meant. There's lots of useful assistance to be had here. Also on mirror charge methods and related interesting subjects.

1. What is the concept of electric potential in a hollow conducting sphere?

The electric potential of a hollow conducting sphere is the measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at any point inside or outside the sphere. It is a scalar quantity that determines the amount of work needed to move a unit positive charge from infinity to that point.

2. How is the electric potential of a hollow conducting sphere calculated?

The electric potential of a hollow conducting sphere can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the electric potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge on the sphere, and r is the distance from the center of the sphere to the point of interest. This equation assumes that the sphere is a point charge.

3. What is the relationship between the electric potential and electric field inside a hollow conducting sphere?

The electric potential inside a hollow conducting sphere is constant and has the same value as the surface of the sphere. This means that the electric field inside the sphere is zero, as there is no potential difference to cause the movement of charges.

4. How does the electric potential of a hollow conducting sphere change when a charge is placed inside it?

The electric potential of a hollow conducting sphere remains constant regardless of the position of a charge inside it. This is because the electric field inside the sphere becomes zero, and the potential difference between any two points inside the sphere is also zero.

5. Can the electric potential of a hollow conducting sphere be negative?

Yes, the electric potential of a hollow conducting sphere can be negative. This occurs when a negative charge is placed inside the sphere, causing the potential energy to decrease. However, the magnitude of the potential is still the same as the surface of the sphere, but with a negative sign.