1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential with oscillation

1. Mar 28, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A proton moves along the x-axis, where an arrangement of source charges has created the electric potential V=6000x^2, where V is in volts and x is in meters.

(a) Graph the potential between x = -5.0 and x = +5.0.

(c) By exploiting the analogy with the potential energy of a mass on a spring, determine the "effective spring constant" of the electric potential.

(d) What is the proton's oscillation frequency (in Hz)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

(a) The potential is just a parabola

(c) [tex]
    [tex]k=2 \times 6000q[/tex]

(d) I can't even grasp what this means. Does the proton oscillate? The voltage only goes to zero once.
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 28, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The proton oscillates just as if it were a spring-mass system with a "spring constant" k that you found in (c). Yes, the voltage goes to zero once. What does that mean about the potential and kinetic energies of the proton?

What expression relates the frequency of a spring-mass system to the spring constant k?
  4. Mar 28, 2010 #3
    Thanks, now I understand.

I got the equation
    [tex]f=\frac{\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}}{2 \pi}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook