1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric susceptibility of a gas/solid for the same kind of atoms

1. Aug 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For the same kind of atoms, if a solid is formed from a gas, is the susceptibility increased or decreased compared to the gas phase ?
    Why ?

2. Relevant equations

Susceptibility of a gas is given as

χ=N/V * α

where N/V is average particle density and α is the atomic polarizability.

3. The attempt at a solution

At first sight, since N/V would increase with solid formation the susceptibility would also increase.
    But I doubt that this is a plausible answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2012 #2
    Is there anyone here who simply knows is the electric susceptibility of
    a gas smaller or larger compared to solid for the same kind of substance/atoms ?
    Are there some experimental physicist here ? It does not have to be an explanation.

I know that when solid forms we will have a field acting on individual atoms coming from neighboring atoms. Then the sum of applied external field and the field coming from the neighboring atoms gives the resulting local field. But I'm not sure is this local field related to increase/decreased of susceptibility in a solid.

4. Aug 13, 2012 #3
    I would appreciate if someone would just share his thoughts on this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook