Ionization of hydrogen atom by sinusoidal electric field

In summary, the problem involves calculating the rate of transitions to the continuum for a hydrogen atom initially in its ground state placed in an oscillating electric field. The rate is given by the equation ##R = \frac{\pi}{2\hbar} |H_{fi}'|^2 \rho (E_f)##, where ##H_{fi}'## is the matrix element and ##\rho (E)## is the density of states. The density of states for the continuum is obtained by taking the limit of an infinite cuboidal well. The approach for determining the matrix element involves manipulating the final and initial states, which are given in Cartesian and spherical coordinates, respectively. Later in the week, the problem was simplified by assuming that
pixatlazaki

Homework Statement

"Suppose that a hydrogen atom, initially in its ground state, is placed in an oscillating electric field ##\mathcal{E}_0 \cos(\omega t) \mathbf{\hat{z}}##, with ##\hbar \omega \gg -13.6\text{eV}##. Calculate the rate of transitions to the continuum."

Homework Equations

##R = \frac{\pi}{2\hbar} |H_{fi}'|^2 \rho (E_f)##, where ##R## is the rate of transitions to the state with final energy ##E_f##, ##H_{fi}' = \langle \psi_f | H' | \psi_i \rangle ##, and ##\rho(E)## is the density of states at an energy ##E##. (Derived in course, though similar to equations in Griffiths.)

Density of states for an infinite cuboidal well of volume ##V##:
##\rho(E) = \frac{V}{2\pi^2} (\frac{2m}{\hbar^2})^{\frac{3}{2}}\sqrt{E}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unclear on two points in the solution of this problem.

Firstly, for the density of states for the continuum, I would think that we may just take the limit ##V \to \infty##, but that clearly will blow up (at least if done at the beginning).

Secondly, what is the most sensible way to approach determining the matrix element ##H_{fi}'##? Our final state will be that of a free particle, i.e. ##\psi_f(\mathbf{r},t) = A e^{\mathbf{k}\cdot\mathbf{r} - \omega_0 t} (\omega_0 \equiv \frac{E_f - E_i}{\hbar})## (which is really only reasonable to manipulate in Cartesian coordinates), while our initial state will be the bound state ##\psi_i(\mathbf{r},t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi} a_0^{3/2}} e^{\frac{r}{2a_0}}##, which only involves ##r##, not ##r^2##, making it suited for spherical coordinates.

Later in the week, we were allowed to assume that ##\mathbf{k} = k\mathbf{\hat{z}}##, which simplified the problem a great deal. I ended up performing the integral for ##H'_{fi}## in spherical coordinates. I will post the solution in a week or two.

Likes BvU

1. What is ionization of hydrogen atom by sinusoidal electric field?

Ionization of hydrogen atom by sinusoidal electric field refers to the process in which a hydrogen atom, which consists of a positively charged nucleus and a negatively charged electron, gains enough energy from an applied sinusoidal electric field to lose its electron and become a positively charged ion.

2. How does ionization of hydrogen atom by sinusoidal electric field occur?

Ionization of hydrogen atom by sinusoidal electric field occurs when the applied electric field has a frequency that matches the natural frequency of the hydrogen atom's electron. This resonance causes the electron to absorb energy from the electric field and become unbound from the nucleus, resulting in ionization.

3. What is the role of the amplitude of the electric field in ionization of hydrogen atom?

The amplitude of the electric field determines the amount of energy transferred to the electron. A higher amplitude electric field will transfer more energy to the electron, making it more likely for the electron to become ionized.

4. How does the ionization of hydrogen atom by sinusoidal electric field affect the energy levels of the electron?

The ionization of hydrogen atom by sinusoidal electric field causes the electron to gain energy and leave its original energy level. This results in a change in the energy levels of the electron, with the electron having a higher energy level after ionization.

5. What are some applications of ionization of hydrogen atom by sinusoidal electric field?

Ionization of hydrogen atom by sinusoidal electric field has various applications in fields such as spectroscopy, plasma physics, and laser technology. It is also important in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in different electric fields.