Electrical Capacitator and Electrical Field question. Please help

In summary, the problem is to determine the charge needed on each parallel plate in order to achieve an electric field of 7.85*10^5 V/m between them. Relevant equations include V=-E*d, C= (E0*A)/d, and C=Q/V. By using these equations, the voltage and capacitance of the plates were calculated to be -1923.25V and 1.373*10^-11 F, respectively. To find the charge, the equation Q= C*V was used, resulting in a value of -2.641*10^-8C. It is important to note that this is the charge on one plate, with an equal and opposite charge (-Q)
DracoMassakin
So the problem is "An electric field of 7.85*10^5 V/m is desired between two parallel plates, each of area 38.0 cm^2 and separated by 2.45 mm of air. What charge must be on each plate?"

Relevant equations: V=-E*d, C= (E0*A)/d, C=Q/V

I have calculated the voltage by taking V=-E*d=(-7.85*10^5 V/m)0.00245m= -1923.25V

Then I found the capacitance of the plates C= (E0*A)/d , (E0= Vacum Permativity) and got

C=((8.85*10^-12)0.0038 m^2)/0.00245m= 1.373*10^-11 F

But for the final calculation to find the charge I took Q= C*V = (1.373*10^-11 F)*-1923.25 V= -2.641*10^-8C So do I need to include the negative in that final calculation to get a negative charge or do I leave it out?

Physics news on Phys.org
DracoMassakin said:
So the problem is "An electric field of 7.85*10^5 V/m is desired between two parallel plates, each of area 38.0 cm^2 and separated by 2.45 mm of air. What charge must be on each plate?"

Relevant equations: V=-E*d, C= (E0*A)/d, C=Q/V

I have calculated the voltage by taking V=-E*d=(-7.85*10^5 V/m)0.00245m= -1923.25V

Then I found the capacitance of the plates C= (E0*A)/d , (E0= Vacum Permativity) and got

C=((8.85*10^-12)0.0038 m^2)/0.00245m= 1.373*10^-11 F

But for the final calculation to find the charge I took Q= C*V = (1.373*10^-11 F)*-1923.25 V= -2.641*10^-8C So do I need to include the negative in that final calculation to get a negative charge or do I leave it out?
Hello DracoMassakin. Welcome to PF !

When we say there is a charge of Q on a capacitor what do we mean?

It means that it is the charge on each of the parallel plates right?

DracoMassakin said:
It means that it is the charge on each of the parallel plates right?
No.

If we have a capacitor with capacitance, C, in a circuit, and it is charged so the potential difference from one plate to the other is V, then we say the charge on the capacitor is Q, where Q = CV. In that case we actually have a charge of Q on one plate, and -Q on the other.

Based on your calculations, it seems that the charge on each plate should be -2.641*10^-8 Coulombs. It is important to include the negative sign in your final calculation, as it indicates the direction of the charge. In this case, the negative sign indicates that the charge on each plate is negative, which is necessary to create the desired electric field between the plates.

1. What is an electrical capacitaor?

An electrical capacitor is a device that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied to the plates, an electric field is created between them, allowing the capacitor to store energy.

2. How does an electrical capacitor work?

An electrical capacitor works by storing electric charge on its plates. When a voltage is applied to the capacitor, one plate becomes positively charged while the other becomes negatively charged. The insulating material between the plates prevents the charges from flowing together, creating an electric field that stores the energy.

3. What is the unit of measurement for capacitance?

The unit of measurement for capacitance is the Farad (F). However, capacitors are often measured in smaller units such as microfarads (μF) or picofarads (pF).

4. What is the difference between an electrical capacitor and a battery?

An electrical capacitor and a battery both store energy, but they do so in different ways. A battery uses chemical reactions to store energy, while a capacitor uses an electric field. Capacitors also have the ability to charge and discharge much faster than batteries.

5. How is an electrical capacitor used in circuits?

An electrical capacitor is used in circuits for a variety of purposes. It can be used to smooth out fluctuations in voltage, filter out unwanted frequencies, and store energy for later use. Capacitors are also commonly used in timing circuits and audio equipment.