Electrical Conductors and Insulators, help

In summary, a balloon was initially neutral but gained a net charge of -0.60nC after being rubbed with fur. This indicates that electrons were added to the balloon. To calculate the number of electrons transferred, the net charge was converted to Coulombs and then multiplied by the charge of one electron. The result was 3.75 x 10^9 or 3.75 EXP 9 electrons. In the example given of a 1.0-g nugget of pure gold, after removing 1.0% of its electrons, it will have a net negative charge. This is because electrons have negative charge.
soulembracer

Homework Statement

A balloon, initially neutral, is rubbed with fur until it acquires a net charge of -0.60nC. (a) Assuming that only electrons are transferred, were electrons removed from the balloon or added to it? (b) how many electrons were transferred?

Net Charge = Q = -0.60 nC

Homework Equations

Electron Charge = qe = -1.602 x 10^-19 C
*meaning the Charge in 1 Electron = qe

1 nC = 10^-9 C

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) HELP I'm confused in problem a. My book says it is added but it doesn't have any explanation. :( I want to know when electrons are removed or added.

(b) I tried this but I'm not sure if it is correct.
- I converted nC to C for the given net charge:
Q = (-0.60 nC)(10^-9C / 1 nC) = -6 x 10^-10 C or -6 EXP -10 C

-I get the numbers of transferred electrons through this:
No. of Electrons = (Q)(1 electron/qe)
= (-6 EXP -10 C)(1 electron/-1.602 x 10^-19 C)​
*cancel C unit​
=3.75 x 10^9 electron or 3.75 EXP 9 electron

is this correct? I'm confused because my classmates' answer is different compare to me.

and by the way, this one doesn't have any relation with this problem, what does this mean:
1.0-g
what is -g? It's not a variable. It is just given as it is. It also belong in the topic of Electrical Conductors and Insulators.

Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
To answer a) Initially the balloon was neutral. That means the net charge was 0 C. Then, after charging it, the balloon acquired a NEGATIVE charge. That means electrons were added. Reason ? Well, electrons have negative charge. It's as simple as that

marlon

b) looks ok to me

1.0-g, can you tell me more about where you read this ? What question in your book ? What example ?

marlon

marlon said:
b) looks ok to me

1.0-g, can you tell me more about where you read this ? What question in your book ? What example ?

marlon

thanks for explaining problem a. I didn't figure it out. :)

regarding 1.0-g:
Suppose a 1.0-g nugget of pure gold has zero net charge. What would be its net charge after it has 1.0% of its electrons removed?

In my understanding, that is in grams, but I wonder why it has negative sign..

1. What is the difference between electrical conductors and insulators?

Electrical conductors are materials that allow electricity to flow through them easily, while insulators are materials that resist the flow of electricity.

2. What are some common examples of electrical conductors?

Some common examples of electrical conductors include copper, aluminum, gold, and silver.

3. How do electrical conductors work?

Electrical conductors work by allowing electrons to move freely through them, creating a pathway for electricity to flow.

4. What are some common examples of insulators?

Some common examples of insulators include rubber, plastic, glass, and wood.

5. Can a material be both an electrical conductor and an insulator?

No, a material cannot be both an electrical conductor and an insulator. These properties are mutually exclusive - a material is either a conductor or an insulator.