What is the charge of each conductor afterwards?

In summary: If one conductor is larger (larger surface area) than the other, that larger conductor will have more charge.I interpret your post #7 as having some doubt - somewhere. I have been completely consistent in my posts I believe.And I disagree with your post #5. It matters not how contact is made, as I said in my post #7.In summary, the question asks for the charge of two identical conductors after being brought into contact, with one initially having a charge of +30 x10^(-6) C. It does not specify the charge on the other conductor or the nature of their contact. However, it can be assumed that the other conductor is initially neutral. The charges on both conductors
Here's another example that I think supports the conjecture that the congruent conductors do not need to end up with equal charges.

Consider a thin-walled conical conductor
upload_2017-9-1_11-49-30.png

If you put charge on this, then I believe that most of the charge will be located on the outer surface. Very little charge will be on the inner surface, especially if the apex angle is small. But I don't know how to prove this.

Now slip an identically shaped, uncharged conductor inside of the charged one until they touch.
upload_2017-9-1_11-54-4.png

This is almost like a single conical conductor. So, most of the charge should remain on the outer surface of the outer conductor.

This example is not meant as a proof, but I think it is suggestive.

Last edited:
Likes haruspex and collinsmark
<h2>What is the charge of each conductor afterwards?</h2><p>The charge of each conductor afterwards depends on the type of charge transfer that occurred. If the conductors were initially neutral and a positive charge was transferred from one conductor to the other, then the first conductor will have a negative charge and the second conductor will have a positive charge. If the charge transfer was due to induction, then both conductors will have the same charge as the inducing object.</p><h2>How does charge transfer occur between conductors?</h2><p>Charge transfer between conductors can occur through direct contact, induction, or conduction. In direct contact, charges are physically transferred from one conductor to another. In induction, the presence of a charged object induces a separation of charges in the conductors. In conduction, charges flow through a conducting material, such as a wire, from one conductor to another.</p><h2>What is the difference between conductors and insulators?</h2><p>Conductors are materials that allow the flow of electric charge, while insulators are materials that do not allow the flow of electric charge. This is because conductors have free electrons that can move easily, while insulators have tightly bound electrons that do not move easily. Examples of conductors include metals, while examples of insulators include rubber and plastic.</p><h2>Can the charge of a conductor be changed?</h2><p>Yes, the charge of a conductor can be changed through various methods, such as direct contact with a charged object, induction, or conduction. The charge of a conductor can also be changed by adding or removing electrons through processes such as friction or heating. Additionally, the charge of a conductor can be changed by connecting it to a power source, which can provide a continuous flow of electrons.</p><h2>What is the role of conductors in electricity?</h2><p>Conductors play a crucial role in electricity by allowing the flow of electric charge. This is essential for the functioning of many electrical devices and systems. Conductors also help to distribute and transfer energy, such as in power lines, and can be used to control the flow of electricity through circuits. Additionally, conductors are important in grounding, which is a safety measure to prevent electric shocks.</p>

What is the charge of each conductor afterwards?

The charge of each conductor afterwards depends on the type of charge transfer that occurred. If the conductors were initially neutral and a positive charge was transferred from one conductor to the other, then the first conductor will have a negative charge and the second conductor will have a positive charge. If the charge transfer was due to induction, then both conductors will have the same charge as the inducing object.

How does charge transfer occur between conductors?

Charge transfer between conductors can occur through direct contact, induction, or conduction. In direct contact, charges are physically transferred from one conductor to another. In induction, the presence of a charged object induces a separation of charges in the conductors. In conduction, charges flow through a conducting material, such as a wire, from one conductor to another.

What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow the flow of electric charge, while insulators are materials that do not allow the flow of electric charge. This is because conductors have free electrons that can move easily, while insulators have tightly bound electrons that do not move easily. Examples of conductors include metals, while examples of insulators include rubber and plastic.

Can the charge of a conductor be changed?

Yes, the charge of a conductor can be changed through various methods, such as direct contact with a charged object, induction, or conduction. The charge of a conductor can also be changed by adding or removing electrons through processes such as friction or heating. Additionally, the charge of a conductor can be changed by connecting it to a power source, which can provide a continuous flow of electrons.

What is the role of conductors in electricity?

Conductors play a crucial role in electricity by allowing the flow of electric charge. This is essential for the functioning of many electrical devices and systems. Conductors also help to distribute and transfer energy, such as in power lines, and can be used to control the flow of electricity through circuits. Additionally, conductors are important in grounding, which is a safety measure to prevent electric shocks.