(Electrical) Engineering and Career Fields

In summary, the speaker is a first-year engineering student who chose electrical engineering because of its broad range of fields. They are also interested in physics, but chose engineering for its stability. They have a high GPA and plan on pursuing a masters after graduation. They have some concerns about job prospects and financial security, as well as finding a balance between school and social life. They are considering seeking advice from their school's career services office.
moemoney
Hi,

I just finished my first year of engineering and I am about to enter my second year. I decided to go into electrical engineering because it seems like it has a very broad range of fields to enter in.

Now I am also extremely interested in physics in almost all departments mainly QM, nuclear and particle physics. Not meaning to bash anyone here but from what I could see, enigneering is the more "stable" career path to follow and this is why I chose engineering over physics.

Now I am in a very confused state right now. I am wondering if engineering truly is a good choice. At first I wanted to practice medicine and to become a medical doctor/dentist. The eight years of schooling pushed me away and this is why I went into engineering (which I am actually happy with).

I guess I consider myself an intelligent being (aside from being very fluent in english, I always hated english class). I have obtiand a GPA of 12.2 (out of 13) without having to study much. I plan on doing my masters after I graduate and maybe even stay in school for a bit longer.

BUT now I want to ask these (vague) questions first:

1. Is it relatively easy to get a job if I graduate as an electrical engineer?
2. On average, will I be financially secured?
3. With my electrical engineering degree, can I enter fields such as:
nanotechnology, QM related work, biomechanics, particle physics, magnetic/electrical fields
Or do I have to further my education past the scope of electrical engineering. I am not too interested in "general" electrical engineering work (I would enjoy something more interesting).
4. Will I actually be able to enjoy life as I pursue my degree in engineering? I mean, I also want to go out and have fun and party during the weekends and talk to girls. I don't want to be tied down to just book work but I am willing to do all the work that is required.

Sometimes I feel like being a dentist wouldn't have been so bad. I mean, I am almost gaurunteed a good amount of money and a stable life... But engineering has far more interest to me.

Thanks guys,
MoeMoney

Physics news on Phys.org
1. If your school has a career and placement services office, you should go check that out and see just how many employers are recruiting people from your field, and whether or not these are jobs you'd be happy with. (Note, however, that things can change in a few years, and what's popular now, won't necessarily be popular in the future).

2. There are no guarantees with respect to financial security these days. That being said, as long as you have a skill set that's in demand, you'll be in a good position.

3. In general, yes. Although, if you intend to do fundamental research in these areas, you'll need a graduate degree. And it is harder to get into a physics program from an engineering background than if you're coming through physics - but not impossible.

4. Everyone has to find their own balance. First year is generally a good taste of what you're in store for.

Hello MoeMoney,

It's great to hear that you have completed your first year of engineering and are about to enter your second year. Electrical engineering is indeed a broad field with many different career paths to choose from. It's also great to hear that you are interested in physics and have a passion for learning.

To answer your questions:

1. Is it relatively easy to get a job if I graduate as an electrical engineer?

The job market for electrical engineers is generally very good. With a strong demand for technology and innovation, there are many opportunities for electrical engineers in various industries such as telecommunications, power and energy, electronics, and more. As long as you have a strong academic background and relevant experience, you should be able to find a job relatively easily.

2. On average, will I be financially secured?

Electrical engineering is a well-paying field, and on average, you will have a stable and secure income. However, the exact salary will depend on your experience, location, and specific job role. With a strong academic background and relevant experience, you can expect to have a financially secure future as an electrical engineer.

3. With my electrical engineering degree, can I enter fields such as: nanotechnology, QM related work, biomechanics, particle physics, magnetic/electrical fields, or do I have to further my education past the scope of electrical engineering?

Your electrical engineering degree will provide you with a strong foundation in the principles of electrical engineering, and you can certainly enter fields such as nanotechnology, QM related work, biomechanics, particle physics, and magnetic/electrical fields. However, if you want to specialize in these fields, you may need to further your education through a graduate degree or specialized training. It's important to research and explore different career paths within electrical engineering to find the right fit for you.

4. Will I actually be able to enjoy life as I pursue my degree in engineering?

As with any degree, pursuing electrical engineering will require hard work and dedication. However, it's important to maintain a healthy work-life balance and make time for activities you enjoy. Many engineering programs also have clubs and organizations that offer opportunities to socialize and network with others in the field. It's important to prioritize your mental and physical well-being while pursuing your degree.

In conclusion, electrical engineering is a great choice for a stable and fulfilling career. With your passion for learning and strong academic background, you can excel in this

What is electrical engineering?

Electrical engineering is a field of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. It involves designing, developing, testing, and maintaining electrical systems, such as power generation, transmission, and distribution systems, as well as electronic devices and circuits.

What are the different career fields in electrical engineering?

There are many different career fields within electrical engineering, including power engineering, control systems engineering, telecommunications engineering, and electronic engineering. Other common areas of specialization include signal processing, computer engineering, and renewable energy engineering.

What skills are important for a career in electrical engineering?

Some important skills for a career in electrical engineering include strong analytical and problem-solving skills, strong mathematical and scientific abilities, attention to detail, and the ability to work well with others and communicate effectively. Proficiency in programming languages and computer-aided design (CAD) software is also beneficial.

What are the educational requirements for becoming an electrical engineer?

To become an electrical engineer, you typically need a Bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Some employers may also prefer or require a Master's degree. In addition to formal education, obtaining professional certification, such as a Professional Engineer (PE) license, can also be beneficial for career advancement.

What are some common job titles for electrical engineers?

Some common job titles for electrical engineers include electrical design engineer, control systems engineer, power engineer, telecommunications engineer, electronics engineer, and software engineer. Other job titles may vary depending on specific areas of specialization or industry.