1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Engineering fields close to Physics

1. Mar 18, 2015 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am a junior year EEE student ( in a South Asian country ) and I will have to declare my thesis topic pretty soon. Anyway, the reason I am here is that I love Physics and want to migrate to something that is more heavy on the theoritical side. Things like particle physics, standard model and quantum mechanics. I am not yet sure if want to completely do a masters/PhD in Physics, but that's something I'm pondering.

What I want to know are fields I can pursue that are closely related to Physics (has plenty of advanced Quantum mechanics, electromagnetic waves and fields and such). One thing I hate is circuits; can't stand it. I know it's ironical, and it's not like I am really bad at it. I just don't like it. So anything else. One field that I've looked up and that I find interesting is Plasma Physics, but I don't know if I'll be accepted from the EEE background, and even if I'm accepted I don't want to end up doing the "Electrical Stuffs" in the research group.

I know I've been quite vague in my questions, but I'm betting on that you guys would understand my problem. Please suggest some fields for me in which I can pursue my Masters/PhD. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2015 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Accelerator physics, detector physics, device physics, plasma physics, and material science.

Zz.

4. Mar 18, 2015 #3

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Things like quantum optics, laser science, photonics, optical electronics etc. are still very much active areas in-between engineering and physics. There have been a flurry of reports in the US and abroad calling for investment in these areas of research: e.g. US: https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/microsites/ostp/NSTC/ftac-op_pssc_20140417.pdf [Broken] Europe: http://spie.org/x105060.xml?WT.mc_id=MSPIEPROGBW

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Mar 22, 2015 #4
    I can't speak from first hand experience but where I study EE undergrads are required to take specialization groups that are supposed to give them a taste of the different that EEs go to, two such groups that are physics heavy are electro-optics & waves where the sudents go more in-depth into QM and general wave phenomena, the other group is micro&nano electronics where the students learn the students learn the physics of semiconductors ( including courses such as solid state physics, QM and statistical physics), I don't know how much that info helps but I assume that looking into these areas might lead to some new insights or other directions to look

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook