Electrical Engineers with advanced physics knoweledge

In summary: As i was afraid it sounds like they focused on either design or materials/fabrication . Did you take the graduate course as a physicist or as an engineer ?
Avaro667
Hello .
Is there any EE who thinks he had to go the extra mile in studying physics to this point in his career ? What courses did you take in both physics and mathematics? Did you read any topic on your own ? I'm really interested in your answers :) .

I think i would like to get into IC design but i also like solid state physics as well . What I'm wondering about is whether in the end i would have to decide between the two fields . Do you think it would be possible to get a job later involving both IC design & R&D on device materials?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quite possible. Actually mixing material science with IC design was my career path.
You should also take into account both fields are in decline currently, therefore competition for the job become fierce, especially in the IC design.

trurle said:
Quite possible. Actually mixing material science with IC design was my career path.
You should also take into account both fields are in decline currently, therefore competition for the job become fierce, especially in the IC design.

That's interesting . How come ? I thought especially now with all these emerging technologies and breakthroughs in nanoelectronics that both fields would need more people working on stuff.

When I was taking graduate solid state physics in the early 1980s, there were MANY EE graduate students in my class. They all graduated with EE graduate degrees and got jobs in device fabrication.

Avaro667 said:
That's interesting . How come ? I thought especially now with all these emerging technologies and breakthroughs in nanoelectronics that both fields would need more people working on stuff.
Popular media image is frequently lagging actual state of affairs by several decades. IC design have peaked in 2001, and semiconductor device design around ~1995. Main driving forces for decline are programmable logic proliferation and device fabrication costs ballooning, respectively.
Some new related areas with later peak time have appeared though - photonics, MEMS, meta-materials, spintronics to name a few.

mpresic3 said:
When I was taking graduate solid state physics in the early 1980s, there were MANY EE graduate students in my class. They all graduated with EE graduate degrees and got jobs in device fabrication.

That's very interesting actually . I thought most EEs would be interested mainly in design .
Have you been in touch with any of them till now ? I'm wondering if their job is solely focused on fabrication or they might participate in design as well .

trurle said:
Popular media image is frequently lagging actual state of affairs by several decades. IC design have peaked in 2001, and semiconductor device design around ~1995. Main driving forces for decline are programmable logic proliferation and device fabrication costs ballooning, respectively.
Some new related areas with later peak time have appeared though - photonics, MEMS, meta-materials, spintronics to name a few.

Wow,good to know that.I had a very different perspective on how things are. So basically focusing on new tech would be a safer career choice ? I'm interested in lots of stuff like organic electronics,photonic ICs , spintronics and more . What is a typical job title for an EE focusing on new tech like this ? It looks like R&D to me,but is it ?

I have been in touch with a few. Many are now mid-level in their careers and are now more into management than in design or fabrication. Some EE's I knew worked in design when they started and some with materials background chose fabrication, or packaging.

Avaro667 said:
So basically focusing on new tech would be a safer career choice ? I'm interested in lots of stuff like organic electronics,photonic ICs , spintronics and more . What is a typical job title for an EE focusing on new tech like this ? It looks like R&D to me,but is it ?
Not entirely safe (nobody guarantees your selected field will not be sidelined while you are learning), but at least less competition and better teachers are expected in new fields without established curriculums.

mpresic3 said:
I have been in touch with a few. Many are now mid-level in their careers and are now more into management than in design or fabrication. Some EE's I knew worked in design when they started and some with materials background chose fabrication, or packaging.

Did they have to move into management positions or it was a personal choice ?
As i was afraid it sounds like they focused on either design or materials/fabrication . Did you take the graduate course as a physicist or as an engineer ?

trurle said:
Not entirely safe (nobody guarantees your selected field will not be sidelined while you are learning), but at least less competition and better teachers are expected in new fields without established curriculums.

Yup,i understand that there's always the risk what you learned be in decline or in incline if you're lucky .
Well i like research,and if you're saying photonic tech is a new field,i suppose it worths trying . I also like Quantum Computers but I'm pretty sure competition there is even more harder,isn't it ?

Likes trurle
Avaro667 said:
.. photonic tech is a new field,i suppose it worths trying . I also like Quantum Computers but I'm pretty sure competition there is even more harder,isn't it ?
a.f.a.i.k., photonics may be a good choice. Quantum computing is risky because in last 20 years progress from lab tests to commercial goods have failed to materialize.

trurle said:
a.f.a.i.k., photonics may be a good choice. Quantum computing is risky because in last 20 years progress from lab tests to commercial goods have failed to materialize.

It makes sense,they're not supposed to be around anytime soon in our homes 😄 . IBM has allowed access to their Q computers though,i think they're trying to figure out what people could do with them beyond research . It will be fun indeed to see what people will come up with .By the way I have a course called Quantum Electronics,but it will focus on things like spintronics right ?

We also have separate courses for nanoelectronics, optoelectronics & photonics . Any idea how optoelectronics and photonics could differ ?

1. What is the role of an Electrical Engineer with advanced physics knowledge?

An Electrical Engineer with advanced physics knowledge is responsible for designing, developing, and testing electrical systems and devices. They use their understanding of physics principles to create innovative solutions for a variety of industries, including power generation, telecommunications, and electronics.

2. What skills are necessary for an Electrical Engineer with advanced physics knowledge?

An Electrical Engineer with advanced physics knowledge must have a strong foundation in physics principles, as well as a deep understanding of electrical engineering concepts. They should also possess analytical skills, problem-solving abilities, and attention to detail.

3. What types of projects do Electrical Engineers with advanced physics knowledge typically work on?

Electrical Engineers with advanced physics knowledge can work on a wide range of projects, including designing and developing new technologies, improving existing systems, and conducting research to advance the field of electrical engineering. They may also work on projects related to renewable energy, telecommunications, and medical devices.

4. What education and training is required for an Electrical Engineer with advanced physics knowledge?

An Electrical Engineer with advanced physics knowledge typically holds a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Many also pursue a master's or doctoral degree in electrical engineering with a focus on advanced physics courses. Additionally, ongoing training and professional development are necessary to stay current with advancements in the field.

5. What are the job prospects for Electrical Engineers with advanced physics knowledge?

The job prospects for Electrical Engineers with advanced physics knowledge are excellent. As technology continues to advance, the demand for professionals with a strong understanding of both electrical engineering and physics principles will continue to grow. These engineers can find employment in a variety of industries, including research and development, manufacturing, and consulting firms.