Electrical field strength problem

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the field strength of a charge using the formula 1/4∏ε x Q/r^2. It was determined that the 8μC charge should be used in the calculation, which resulted in a field strength of 2.25x10^11. There was also a question about creating a graph for the data, with the suggestion of plotting both force vs distance and field strength vs distance on the same graph.
MMCS
I have completed the force column in the table however I am not sure what the question is asking me for the field strength calculation. am i to use the 25μC charge or the 8μC charge in the formula 1/4∏ε x Q/r^2, this may be obvious to someone with more experience of these questions,

Thanks

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the 8μC charge, as that's the charge producing the field that the 25μC charge experiences as per the wording of the problem.

Thanks mate.
I have calculated the force for the 1mm distance to be 1.8x10^6
so for field strength i have used (1.8x10^6)/8μC = 2.25x10^11
Does that answer look about right?

MMCS said:
Thanks mate.
I have calculated the force for the 1mm distance to be 1.8x10^6
so for field strength i have used (1.8x10^6)/8μC = 2.25x10^11
Does that answer look about right?

Nope. You should have divided by 25μC thus leaving the 8μC charge in the calculation.

For the table a graph is required, what values do you think they want? would it be force against field strength or would distance be used against another?

MMCS said:
For the table a graph is required, what values do you think they want? would it be force against field strength or would distance be used against another?

At a guess I'd say two graphs would be appropriate: force vs distance and field strength vs distance. With clever axis labeling you might plot both on the same graph...

1. What is electrical field strength?

Electrical field strength is a measure of the force that an electric field exerts on a charged particle. It is measured in volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is electrical field strength calculated?

Electrical field strength is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a charged particle by the charge of the particle. It can also be calculated by dividing the voltage difference between two points by the distance between those points.

3. What is the difference between electrical field strength and electric potential?

Electrical field strength is a measure of the force on a charged particle, while electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in an electric field.

4. How does distance affect electrical field strength?

As distance increases, electrical field strength decreases. This is because the force between two charged particles decreases as the distance between them increases.

5. How can electrical field strength be manipulated?

Electrical field strength can be manipulated by changing the distance between two charged particles, changing the amount of charge on the particles, or by adding or removing charged particles from the electric field.