Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electrical field strength problem

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    I have completed the force column in the table however im not sure what the question is asking me for the field strength calculation. am i to use the 25μC charge or the 8μC charge in the formula 1/4∏ε x Q/r^2, this may be obvious to someone with more experience of these questions,

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Use the 8μC charge, as that's the charge producing the field that the 25μC charge experiences as per the wording of the problem.

4. Feb 25, 2012 #3
    Thanks mate.
    I have calculated the force for the 1mm distance to be 1.8x10^6
    so for field strength i have used (1.8x10^6)/8μC = 2.25x10^11
    Does that answer look about right?

5. Feb 25, 2012 #4

gneill

Nope. You should have divided by 25μC thus leaving the 8μC charge in the calculation.

6. Feb 26, 2012 #5
    For the table a graph is required, what values do you think they want? would it be force against field strength or would distance be used against another?

7. Feb 26, 2012 #6

gneill

At a guess I'd say two graphs would be appropriate: force vs distance and field strength vs distance. With clever axis labeling you might plot both on the same graph...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook