1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical field strength problem

1. Feb 25, 2012 #1
    I have completed the force column in the table however im not sure what the question is asking me for the field strength calculation. am i to use the 25μC charge or the 8μC charge in the formula 1/4∏ε x Q/r^2, this may be obvious to someone with more experience of these questions,

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Use the 8μC charge, as that's the charge producing the field that the 25μC charge experiences as per the wording of the problem.

4. Feb 25, 2012 #3
    Thanks mate.
    I have calculated the force for the 1mm distance to be 1.8x10^6
    so for field strength i have used (1.8x10^6)/8μC = 2.25x10^11
    Does that answer look about right?

5. Feb 25, 2012 #4

gneill

Nope. You should have divided by 25μC thus leaving the 8μC charge in the calculation.

6. Feb 26, 2012 #5
    For the table a graph is required, what values do you think they want? would it be force against field strength or would distance be used against another?

7. Feb 26, 2012 #6

gneill

At a guess I'd say two graphs would be appropriate: force vs distance and field strength vs distance. With clever axis labeling you might plot both on the same graph...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook