Calculating Electric Field Strength and Direction for a Negative Charge

In summary, the problem involved a negative charge experiencing a force to the right in an electric field. The solution involved using the equation for electric field strength and comparing answers with a friend who got a different answer. The correct answer for the electric field strength is 2x106 N/C to the left. The discrepancy in answers should be resolved by asking the friend to show their work.
dragon-kazooie
I think I have this correct, could someone please verify? I compared answers with a friend who got 2.0 x 106 N/C to the left, and I can't figure out how they got that answer, so I'm hoping mine is right...

1. Homework Statement

A negative charge of 3.5 × 10–8 C experiences a force of 0.070 N to the right in an electric field. What is the field magnitude and direction?

Homework Equations

Electric field strength = f / q

The Attempt at a Solution

Electric field strength = f / q

Electric field strength = 0.070 N / 3.5x10-8

Electric field strength = 2x106 N/C To the left

Physics news on Phys.org
Funny, ##2\times 10^6## N/C to the left looks to me to be the same as ##2\times 10^6## N/C to the left . Or do you mean you found ##2\times 106 = 212 ## N/C to the left ?

BvU said:
Funny, ##2\times 10^6## N/C to the left looks to me to be the same as ##2\times 10^6## N/C to the left . Or do you mean you found ##2\times 106 = 212 ## N/C to the left ?

Oh goodness, I got myself all mixed up. I should have written "I compared answers with a friend who got 0.02 N/C to the left, and I can't figure out how they got that answer, so I'm hoping mine is right..."

Thank you for asking for clarification. I'm sorry that I didn't proof read my question closely enough!

dragon-kazooie said:
Electric field strength = 2x106 N/C To the left
Once you fix your exponent, this looks correct to me.
dragon-kazooie said:
a friend who got 0.02 N/C
Not sure how your friend could have gotten this. Maybe ask them to show your their work?

Thank you!

1. What is the magnitude of an electric field?

The magnitude of an electric field is a measure of the strength of the electric field at a specific point. It is represented by the symbol E and is measured in volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is the magnitude of an electric field calculated?

The magnitude of an electric field can be calculated by dividing the force acting on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. This can be represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the test charge.

3. How does the magnitude of an electric field change with distance?

The magnitude of an electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning that it decreases as the distance from the source increases. This means that the farther away from the source you are, the weaker the electric field will be.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of an electric field?

The magnitude of an electric field is affected by the source charge, the distance from the source, and the medium through which the electric field is passing. It is also affected by the presence of other charges in the surrounding area.

5. How is the magnitude of an electric field related to electric potential?

The magnitude of an electric field is related to electric potential by the equation E = -∆V/∆s, where E is the electric field, ∆V is the change in electric potential, and ∆s is the distance over which the change occurs. This means that the magnitude of an electric field is directly proportional to the change in electric potential over a given distance.