Electrical networks(linear algebra)

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the currents in various branches of an electrical network. The question is raised about how to determine the currents when they are not labeled, to which the response suggests utilizing physics laws such as the drop in voltage over a resistor and "conservation of charge". The conversation ends with the decision to move the question to a physics homework forum.
EV33

Homework Statement

Determine the currents in the various branches.

Then there is a picture of the network which has batteries, resistors, and nodes.

Most of the problems have the currents labeled.

My question is when the currents are not labled how do you determine where to put them and what direction to give them?

Homework Equations

No equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

By looking at the the various electrical networks in the book it looks like you can put the currents anywhere and in any diretion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Without the picture, this question makes no sense at all! In any case, it looks like a physics problem to me. The whole point is to find the currents using such physics laws as the drop in voltage over a resistor and "conservation of charge".

I'm going to move this to physics homework.

Is this correct?

I would approach this problem by utilizing the principles of Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law. Kirchhoff's laws state that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node, and the sum of voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of voltage sources in that loop. Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance.

First, I would identify all the nodes and apply Kirchhoff's current law to each one. This would give me a system of equations that I can solve to determine the currents in each branch.

To determine the direction of the currents, I would use Ohm's law and the given voltage sources to calculate the voltage drops across each resistor. The direction of the current would be in the direction of the voltage drop.

If the problem does not provide any voltage sources, I would assume a direction for each current and solve the system of equations. If the calculated currents are negative, then I would know that the assumed direction was incorrect and I would have to reverse it. I would repeat this process until I get a consistent set of positive currents.

In summary, to determine the currents in a network, one must apply Kirchhoff's laws and use Ohm's law to find the direction of the currents. It is important to have a consistent direction for each current in order to get accurate results.

1. What is an electrical network?

An electrical network is a system of interconnected electrical components such as resistors, capacitors, inductors, and voltage sources. It can be represented using a graph or circuit diagram, with each component representing a node and the connections between them representing edges.

2. How is linear algebra used in electrical networks?

Linear algebra is used to solve equations and analyze the behavior of electrical networks. It allows for the manipulation of matrices and vectors to determine the current and voltage at different nodes in the network. It also helps in determining the overall resistance, capacitance, and inductance of the network.

3. What is Kirchhoff's circuit laws and how are they related to electrical networks?

Kirchhoff's circuit laws are fundamental laws that govern the behavior of electrical circuits. These laws, known as Kirchhoff's Current Law and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, are used to analyze and solve complex electrical networks. They are based on the principle of conservation of energy and charge.

4. What are the different types of electrical networks?

There are two main types of electrical networks: series and parallel. In a series network, all components are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel network, the components are connected in multiple branches. Other types of networks include series-parallel and complex networks, which are a combination of series and parallel connections.

5. How is the concept of impedance used in electrical networks?

Impedance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of an alternating current in a circuit. It is affected by the resistance, capacitance, and inductance of the network. Impedance is used to analyze the flow of current and voltage in a network and is represented by the complex number Z. It is an important concept in understanding the behavior of electrical networks.