Current flowing in the middle branch -- Why 2 different answers?

In summary, the current through the two resistors in the left and right branches is 20/10= 2A. The correct answer is that the current through the middle resistors is 20 V. However, if the batteries were not ideal or if there were resistors in the left top and left right branch, it works nicely.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

circuit1.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The two batteries are in series in both the left and right branch .This means the potential difference applied across the two middle resistors is 20 V .Hence the current flowing through them is 20/10= 2 A . This is indeed the correct answer .

Now , my doubt is that why does superposition method fails in this case ?

If I assume current I1 flowing clockwise in the left loop and I2 flowing anti clockwise in the right loop . I1 = 2A and I2 = 2A . Superimposing the two currents in the middle branch gives 4A . But this is incorrect .

Attachments

• circuit1.jpg
    circuit1.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 527
Physics news on Phys.org
When you apply superposition and you select a source to find its contribution to circuit conditions, what must you do to other sources in the circuit?

Likes Jahnavi
gneill said:
When you apply superposition and you select a source to find its contribution to circuit conditions, what must you do to other sources in the circuit?

Replace the other voltage sources by a short circuit .

Jahnavi said:
Replace the other voltage sources by a short circuit .
Right! And with the batteries being ideal, what are the consequences for the resulting circuit configuration?

Does that mean Superposition method cannot be applied in this circuit ?

Jahnavi said:
Does that mean Superposition method cannot be applied in this circuit ?
Yup!

If the batteries were not ideal and had some internal resistance (as all real components do), then you would leave the internal resistances in place when you suppress them and everything would be fine and you could go ahead and use superposition.

Likes Jahnavi
Thanks !

@gneill ,

I am really sorry . Actually in the OP , I tried the "Mesh Analysis" and not the Superposition method .

Why does "Mesh Current" method fails in this case ?

If the batteries were not ideal OR if there were resistors in the left top and left right branch , it works nicely .

Why does it fail this time ?

Jahnavi said:
Why does it fail this time ?
It fails because you end up with two identical equations for the loops, which mathematically means that they are not independent. Hence you have only one equation and two unknowns.

Likes Jahnavi
You have two variables, ##i_1## and ##i_2##, yes, but they should both appear in both equations when you perform mesh analysis on this circuit. Both currents run through the central branch.

Likes Jahnavi
Sorry . I had deleted my post . I realize my mistake .

Thanks !

1. How is current flowing in the middle branch different from the other branches?

The middle branch is typically connected in parallel to the other branches, meaning it has its own separate path for current to flow through. This allows for different amounts of current to flow through each branch, resulting in different answers for the middle branch.

2. Why does current flow differently in the middle branch compared to the other branches?

The amount of current flowing through a branch is dependent on the resistance of that branch. If the middle branch has a different resistance than the other branches, it will allow for a different amount of current to flow through, resulting in different answers.

3. How do you calculate the current flowing through the middle branch?

The current flowing through a branch can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R) of the branch. So, I = V/R. By knowing the voltage and resistance of the middle branch, you can calculate the current flowing through it.

4. Can the current in the middle branch ever be the same as the other branches?

It is possible for the current in the middle branch to be the same as the other branches, but this would require the resistance of the middle branch to be equal to the resistance of the other branches. In most cases, the resistance of each branch is different, resulting in different amounts of current flowing through.

5. How can the current in the middle branch be changed to match the other branches?

The current in the middle branch can be changed by altering the resistance of the branch. This can be done by adding or removing components in the branch, or by adjusting the properties of the materials used in the branch. By adjusting the resistance, the current can be changed to match the other branches.