Electrically manipulatable substance?

• Thread starter TheQuietOne
  • Start date
In summary: I can't really say for sure. In summary, the movement can be broad and slightly ambigous if that's what you mean.
TheQuietOne
Please excuse my ignorance, (I'm not actually suppossed to be here, I'm a ME) but is there some sort of substance that can be manipulated with an electric current? (or some way I can make some?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How far are you willing to stretch "cause and effect?"

Bystander said:
How far are you willing to stretch "cause and effect?"
Again, excuse my ignorance but please explain (the movement can be broad and slightly ambigous if that's what you mean).

Consider an arc welder ...

so there is no substance I can make move with an electric current?

No ... there are few substances that can't be made to move ... the OP needs constraints ... many constraints.

darn

TheQuietOne said:
darn

You have in mind a material. This material will serve a purpose that only you know. One property is manipulable by electricity. Another property is? Can you divulge the purpose or will you have to kill us?

BoB

PS: Why are you not supposed to be here?

rbelli1 said:
PS: Why are you not supposed to be here?

I know absolutely nothing about anything in chemistry, anyway I am trying to design a RC Kirby that is very (vey) flexible and needs to be able to be skooshed and still pop back up. But I'm trying to get the RC part down.

rbelli1 said:
One property is manipulable by electricity.
What exactly is that one propetry? :oldconfused:

Piezoelectric materials will deform when a voltage is applied. The change in size is typically very small, making it useful for very precisely controlling micro- and nanometer-scale movements.

interesting...very interesting :cool:

This brings to mind the myomer muscles used to move the walking tanks of the Battlemech universe. These artificial muscles contract when a current runs through them, providing the motive force to move anything from replacement limbs for amputees to the massive, multi-ton war machines that the universe is known for. Is this the sort of idea you had in mind? If so, we simply don't have that kind of technology at this time. Not that I'm aware of at least. Current materials only barely contract/expand when a current or voltage is applied.

Drakkith said:
It's not about what's possible, it's about what's probable
Right?

TheQuietOne said:
Right?

Maybe. Maybe not.

1. What is an electrically manipulatable substance?

An electrically manipulatable substance is a type of material that can be controlled or changed in some way through the use of electricity. This could include altering its physical properties, such as color or shape, or responding to electrical signals and currents.

2. How is an electrically manipulatable substance created?

An electrically manipulatable substance can be created through a variety of methods, depending on the specific properties and behaviors desired. Some substances may be naturally occurring, while others are synthesized or engineered in a laboratory setting.

3. What are some real-world applications of electrically manipulatable substances?

Electrically manipulatable substances have a wide range of potential applications in various fields, including technology, medicine, and research. Examples include smart materials that can change shape or color, conductive materials used in electronics, and responsive substances used in drug delivery systems.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with electrically manipulatable substances?

As with any new technology, there may be potential risks associated with the use of electrically manipulatable substances. These could include unintended side effects, environmental impacts, or safety concerns. It is important for scientists to thoroughly research and test these substances before widespread use.

5. What are some current developments and advancements in the field of electrically manipulatable substances?

The field of electrically manipulatable substances is constantly evolving, with new discoveries and developments being made all the time. Some recent advancements include the creation of self-healing materials, the use of nanotechnology to manipulate substances at a molecular level, and the development of new methods for controlling and manipulating substances with electricity.