Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrically manipulatable substance?

1. Aug 16, 2016 #1
    Please excuse my ignorance, (I'm not actually suppossed to be here, I'm a ME) but is there some sort of substance that can be manipulated with an electric current? (or some way I can make some?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

How far are you willing to stretch "cause and effect?"

4. Aug 16, 2016 #3
    Again, excuse my ignorance but please explain (the movement can be broad and slightly ambigous if that's what you mean).

5. Aug 16, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Consider an arc welder ....

6. Aug 16, 2016 #5
    so there is no substance I can make move with an electric current?

7. Aug 16, 2016 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No ... there are few substances that can't be made to move ... the OP needs constraints ... many constraints.

8. Aug 16, 2016 #7
  9. Aug 17, 2016 #8

rbelli1

Gold Member

You have in mind a material. This material will serve a purpose that only you know. One property is manipulable by electricity. Another property is??? Can you divulge the purpose or will you have to kill us?

BoB

PS: Why are you not supposed to be here?

10. Aug 18, 2016 #9
    I know absolutely nothing about anything in chemistry, anyway I am trying to design a RC Kirby that is very (vey) flexible and needs to be able to be skooshed and still pop back up. But I'm trying to get the RC part down.

11. Aug 18, 2016 #10
    What exactly is that one propetry? :oldconfused:

12. Aug 18, 2016 #11

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Piezoelectric materials will deform when a voltage is applied. The change in size is typically very small, making it useful for very precisely controlling micro- and nanometer-scale movements.

13. Aug 18, 2016 #12
    interesting...very interesting :cool:

14. Aug 19, 2016 #13

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

This brings to mind the myomer muscles used to move the walking tanks of the Battlemech universe. These artificial muscles contract when a current runs through them, providing the motive force to move anything from replacement limbs for amputees to the massive, multi-ton war machines that the universe is known for. Is this the sort of idea you had in mind? If so, we simply don't have that kind of technology at this time. Not that I'm aware of at least. Current materials only barely contract/expand when a current or voltage is applied.

15. Aug 20, 2016 #14
    Right?

16. Aug 20, 2016 #15

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Maybe. Maybe not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted