Electricity: 2 charged rods connected to a voltage source

In summary: Many thanks!In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of polarity changing periodically and its effects on charge distribution. The use of a generator producing Alternating Current (AC) is mentioned as an example. The question asks for the effect of this change in charge distribution and the conversation suggests researching dipole antenna operation for a full answer. The conversation also discusses the use of a signal generator to produce a changing output voltage with a sinusoidal function. In conclusion, the conversation ends with the conclusion that the answer to the original question is D, and the reasoning is correct.
YMMMA

Homework Statement

In addition to the question given in the attached file below, I don’t understand how is the polarity changing periodically.

Homework Equations

Concept-based question, I guess.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how should I approach the question. So, if anyone has an idea, can he/she explain?

Attachments

• 0D62014F-47E8-40E9-B5BE-67B2BED786B1.jpeg
    0D62014F-47E8-40E9-B5BE-67B2BED786B1.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 267
Physics news on Phys.org
A generator producing Alternating Current (AC) would be an example of such a voltage source. First one side is at higher voltage, then the other, and they switch back and forth in a sinusoidal pattern.

The question is asking you what the effect is of the charge distribution changing back and forth between those two pictures periodically. What have you learned about changing charge distributions?

YMMMA said:
In addition to the question given in the attached file below, I don’t understand how is the polarity changing periodically.
As mentioned by @RPinPA a signal generator can make such a changing output voltage. The voltage between the two rods could vary with a sinusoidal function like:

V(t) = 1V * sin (2π * 1kHz * t), and you could alter the amplitude from 1V and the frequency from 1kHz if you want a different driven waveform.
YMMMA said:
I have no idea how should I approach the question. So, if anyone has an idea, can he/she explain?
For each of the 2 figures, draw the E field lines from + to - charges, just as you do for other geometries with charge separation. If you need help with that, try Google Images with appropriate search terms to get some ideas. With those two modified diagrams, you can partially answer the question.

To fully answer the question, search on "dipole antenna operation" or similar. Let us know what you find... :smile:

RPinPA said:
A generator producing Alternating Current (AC) would be an example of such a voltage source. First one side is at higher voltage, then the other, and they switch back and forth in a sinusoidal pattern.

The question is asking you what the effect is of the charge distribution changing back and forth between those two pictures periodically. What have you learned about changing charge distributions?
Ahh, apparently I didn’t learn something about this topic. So, I need to know changing charge distribution and AC.

berkeman said:
As mentioned by @RPinPA a signal generator can make such a changing output voltage. The voltage between the two rods could vary with a sinusoidal function like:

V(t) = 1V * sin (2π * 1kHz * t), and you could alter the amplitude from 1V and the frequency from 1kHz if you want a different driven waveform.

For each of the 2 figures, draw the E field lines from + to - charges, just as you do for other geometries with charge separation. If you need help with that, try Google Images with appropriate search terms to get some ideas. With those two modified diagrams, you can partially answer the question.

To fully answer the question, search on "dipole antenna operation" or similar. Let us know what you find... :smile:

I don’t know a thing about the first part “

V(t) = 1V * sin (2π * 1kHz * t), and you could alter the amplitude from 1V and the frequency from 1kHz if you want a different driven waveform.“

But I do know how to draw electric fields. I am going to search more about the others ,and then come back to the question.

I have looked for dipole antenna and found that its like the ‘"rabbit ears" television antenna found on broadcast television sets’. There's a changing electric field throughout all the space because of the alternation and a changing electric field near the end of the rods. If the length is half a wavelength the will be radiation. So, I think the answer is D. Is my reasoning correct?

Attachments

• 005133AB-E1FF-4C64-BF02-4969D3AC8EFD.jpeg
    005133AB-E1FF-4C64-BF02-4969D3AC8EFD.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 264
YMMMA said:
So, I think the answer is D. Is my reasoning correct?
Yes, good work! :smile:

Likes YMMMA
Many thanks!
berkeman said:
Yes, good work! :smile:

Likes berkeman

What is electricity?

Electricity is the flow of electric charge through a conducting material, such as a wire. It is a form of energy that powers many devices and is essential for our daily lives.

How do two charged rods connected to a voltage source work?

When two charged rods are connected to a voltage source, such as a battery, they create an electric circuit. This allows the flow of electric current between the two rods, which can be used to power devices or create other forms of energy.

What is the purpose of connecting two charged rods to a voltage source?

The purpose of connecting two charged rods to a voltage source is to create an electric circuit and allow the flow of electric current. This can be used to power devices or create other forms of energy.

How does voltage affect the two charged rods?

Voltage is the force that drives the flow of electric current between the two charged rods. The higher the voltage, the greater the force and the stronger the flow of electric current.

What safety precautions should be taken when working with two charged rods connected to a voltage source?

When working with electricity and voltage sources, proper safety precautions should always be taken. This includes wearing protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, and ensuring that all connections are secure and insulated to prevent electric shocks.