1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity and Magnetism question.

1. May 19, 2008 #1
    Hello I have these two questions on electricity and magnetism which I dont understand very well these are:

(Q1) If a closed surface encloses no charge, and electric field lines cross the surface.

(Q2) Under what conditions can coloumb's law be used to find the electric field strength.

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2008 #2
    Coulombs law completes Electrostatics. If you understand what it implies mathematically, you're done with statics. But it does not hold for mobile charges. Under static conditions you can use it to find E.

4. May 22, 2008 #3
    A single function axiomatic system? Two, as charges are static. Other than what should be considered as implicit, such as Euclidian space + time, and Newtonian mechanics, I can think of only one other axiom; that is continuity of charge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?