How many electrons in a 25 Ah battery and through an 8 kW shower heater?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CathyLou
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electricity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
CathyLou
Messages
173
Reaction score
1
Hiya.

I'm really struggling with the following electricity questions and so any help would be very much appreciated.

How many available electrons are there in a 25 Ah battery?

How many electrons pass through a 240 V mains shower heater of 8 kW if it is on for 5 minutes?


Thank you.

Cathy
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have to find the charge moving/transferring in each case first then convert this knowing the charge on an electron.

So, you need the formula that links charge, current and time (and watch out, your battery is given in Amps Hours and you'll need it in seconds)
 
rsk said:
You have to find the charge moving/transferring in each case first then convert this knowing the charge on an electron.

So, you need the formula that links charge, current and time (and watch out, your battery is given in Amps Hours and you'll need it in seconds)

Thanks for replying.

To convert the battery from Amp Hours to seconds, do I just divide 25 by 60?

I know that I = Q / t and that the charge on an electron is 1.6 x 10^-1, but I'm still not sure how to get an answer to the first question.

Cathy
 
No, I think you'd multiply by 60x60.

I think 25Ah means it can give 25 amps for 1 hour (or 1 amp for 25 hours or any number of other combinations) so it will give 25 amps for 60x60 seconds.

That will give you the total charge available - and since you know the charge on each electron, just divide by that to find out how many electrons.
 
rsk said:
No, I think you'd multiply by 60x60.

I think 25Ah means it can give 25 amps for 1 hour (or 1 amp for 25 hours or any number of other combinations) so it will give 25 amps for 60x60 seconds.

That will give you the total charge available - and since you know the charge on each electron, just divide by that to find out how many electrons.

Okay. Thanks for your help!