Electricity Help: 25 Ah Battery & 8 kW Shower Heater

• Thread starter CathyLou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with electricity questions involving the number of available electrons in a battery and the number of electrons passing through a mains shower heater. The expert suggests finding the charge and converting it to seconds before dividing by the charge on an electron to find the total number of electrons. The individual thanks the expert for their help.
CathyLou
Hiya.

I'm really struggling with the following electricity questions and so any help would be very much appreciated.

How many available electrons are there in a 25 Ah battery?

How many electrons pass through a 240 V mains shower heater of 8 kW if it is on for 5 minutes?

Thank you.

Cathy

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to find the charge moving/transferring in each case first then convert this knowing the charge on an electron.

So, you need the formula that links charge, current and time (and watch out, your battery is given in Amps Hours and you'll need it in seconds)

rsk said:
You have to find the charge moving/transferring in each case first then convert this knowing the charge on an electron.

So, you need the formula that links charge, current and time (and watch out, your battery is given in Amps Hours and you'll need it in seconds)

Thanks for replying.

To convert the battery from Amp Hours to seconds, do I just divide 25 by 60?

I know that I = Q / t and that the charge on an electron is 1.6 x 10^-1, but I'm still not sure how to get an answer to the first question.

Cathy

No, I think you'd multiply by 60x60.

I think 25Ah means it can give 25 amps for 1 hour (or 1 amp for 25 hours or any number of other combinations) so it will give 25 amps for 60x60 seconds.

That will give you the total charge available - and since you know the charge on each electron, just divide by that to find out how many electrons.

rsk said:
No, I think you'd multiply by 60x60.

I think 25Ah means it can give 25 amps for 1 hour (or 1 amp for 25 hours or any number of other combinations) so it will give 25 amps for 60x60 seconds.

That will give you the total charge available - and since you know the charge on each electron, just divide by that to find out how many electrons.

Okay. Thanks for your help!

1. What is the purpose of a 25 Ah battery?

A 25 Ah (amp hour) battery is designed to store and provide electrical energy for various devices and systems. In this case, it may be used to power the 8 kW shower heater, which requires a significant amount of electricity to operate efficiently.

2. How long will a 25 Ah battery last?

The duration of a 25 Ah battery's charge depends on the amount of current being drawn from it. With an 8 kW shower heater, the battery will last approximately 3 hours before needing to be recharged. However, this can vary depending on the efficiency of the heater and other factors.

3. Can the 25 Ah battery be used for other purposes?

Yes, the 25 Ah battery can be used for a variety of purposes, such as powering small electronic devices, providing backup power for home appliances, or even powering an electric car. Its versatility makes it a popular choice for many applications.

4. What does 8 kW mean for a shower heater?

kW (kilowatts) is a unit of power, and in this case, 8 kW refers to the amount of power the shower heater requires to function. The higher the kW, the more powerful the heater will be and the faster it can heat water.

5. How can I safely handle and maintain the 25 Ah battery?

To safely handle and maintain the 25 Ah battery, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines. This may include storing the battery in a cool and dry place, avoiding overcharging or overheating, and regularly checking the battery's condition and charge level. It is also important to use caution when handling any battery, as they can be dangerous if mishandled.