Conceptual Issue RE: electric potential difference

In summary, the conversation discusses a conceptual issue surrounding electric potential difference and provides two questions to illustrate the confusion. The equations and solutions are provided for both questions, with a focus on understanding the signs and interpreting the results. The conversation concludes with a clarification on the direction of the electric field and the meaning of the negative sign in the equations.
keroberous

Homework Statement

My main conceptual issue here surrounds positives and negatives as they apply to electric potential difference. I will post two questions that illustrate my confusion, if that's ok.

1) The electrons in an old TV picture tube are accelerated through a potential difference of 2.5 × 104 V. Calculate the change in the electric potential energy of the field.

2) Calculate the magnitude of the electric field if an electron moves a distance of 15 cm through a potential difference of 1.5 × 104 V.

Homework Equations

##\Delta E_E = q \Delta V##

##\varepsilon= - \frac {\Delta V} {\Delta d}##

The Attempt at a Solution

As I mentioned, my issues revolve around the signs and how to interpret the results. For example, for the first question we get that:

##\Delta E_E = q \Delta V \\
\Delta E_E =(-1.6 \times 10^{-19})(2.5 \times 10^4) \\
\Delta E_E = -4.0 \times 10^{-15}##

This is all well and good considering we were told the electrons were accelerating so we expect them to lose potential energy (and presumable gain kinetic energy). But if we consider a proton (for instance) in the same field, then ##\Delta E_E = 4.0 \times 10^{-15}## Again this makes sense if the protons are going in the same direction the electrons were. But how would we know that if we weren't originally told the electrons are accelerating? All of the values for potential difference given in the text I'm using are positive. Obviously potential difference should be able to be negative according to its definition, i.e. if ##V_f < V_i##.

For the second question we get that:

##\varepsilon= - \frac {\Delta V} {\Delta d}\\
\varepsilon= - \frac {1.5 \times 10^4} {0.15}\\
\varepsilon= -1.0 \times 10^5##

I know the question only asks for the magnitude of the electric field, but using the equation as given does produce a negative. The text offers this explanation of the negative: "The negative sign indicates that the field extends from high to low potential." But doesn't the electric field always point in that direction?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
keroberous said:
Again this makes sense if the protons are going in the same direction the electrons were. But how would we know that if we weren't originally told the electrons are accelerating?
Presumably, you are given the potential difference from point A to point B, which is the path the particles travel. If the potential difference is positive, as given here, you know the direction of the field (from B to A) and that electrons will speed up and protons slow down.

keroberous said:
The text offers this explanation of the negative: "The negative sign indicates that the field extends from high to low potential." But doesn't the electric field always point in that direction?
Sure. The bit about electrons is just to trick you. And they are just explaining the meaning of the minus sign (which you already know).

What is electric potential difference?

Electric potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and is a measure of the work required to move a unit of electric charge from one point to another.

How is electric potential difference calculated?

Electric potential difference is calculated by dividing the change in electric potential energy by the amount of charge that has moved. Mathematically, it can be represented as: V = ΔU/q, where V is the potential difference, ΔU is the change in potential energy, and q is the amount of charge moved.

What factors affect electric potential difference?

The factors that affect electric potential difference include the distance between the two points, the amount of charge at each point, and the properties of the medium between the two points. Additionally, the presence of external electric fields and the type of conductors used can also impact electric potential difference.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential difference?

Electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. Electric potential difference, on the other hand, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is an absolute value, while electric potential difference is a relative value.

How is electric potential difference related to electric current?

Electric potential difference is related to electric current through Ohm's law, which states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the potential difference applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor. In other words, a higher potential difference will result in a higher current, while a higher resistance will result in a lower current.