Determining current from ammeter

In summary, qneil brings up an interesting point. If 5 amps is flowing upwards through the 2 ohm resistor, the change in potential is -10V, and the current through the 3 ohm resistor is -1/3A.
neongoats

Homework Statement

32_P50.jpg

The ammeter reads 5.0A. Find I1, I2, and ε

Homework Equations

ΔV=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I've never dealt with ammeters before so I'm very confused.
To start, I tried breaking this into loops, and then used Kirchhoff's Law.
I started with the left side, since I have the value of the battery. I know that ΣΔV = 0 in this loop. I also know that these two resistors are in series, so Req=3.0+2.0=5.0Ω
Since I = V/R, I tried I = 9/5, which is incorrect

I then decided to think about this with the junction law, and thought that because the current at A is 5.0A, that's what's entering the battery, thus that must also be what's exiting the battery, but this was again incorrect.

I've gone through many different methods and have been unsuccessful in all, and am really just trying to figure out where to even start. Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget the ammeter. The question really is just asking what the circuit looks like if the current through the 2ohm resistor is 5 amps.

phinds said:
Forget the ammeter. The question really is just asking what the circuit looks like if the current through the 2ohm resistor is 5 amps.

Okay. I'm still unsure of how to do this.
I split the circuit into the loop on the left. Using the fact that the current through the 2ohm resistor is 5A, I found that the change in potential at this point is 10V. I know that the total change in potential must be 0, so the change in potential through the 3ohm resistor is must be -10V, thus the current would be 10/3. This is the only way I can think of to do this, but looking at it I feel that I'm not doing this correctly...

I can't imagine how you get -10v across the 3 ohm resistor. What is the voltage on the left side of that resistor? What is the voltage on the right side of that resistor?

phinds said:
I can't imagine how you get -10v across the 3 ohm resistor. What is the voltage on the left side of that resistor? What is the voltage on the right side of that resistor?

Ohhhh oops, I forgot to add the voltage from the battery... This isn't intuitive to me at all. So Δ5 across the 2Ω resistor is 10V.
9V - 10V = -1 V
-1 V / 3 Ω = -1/3 A
Thank you so much!

Since you've noticed that indicated currents can be negative, and since no mention was made of the direction of the current that the ammeter reading represents, then for full marks you may have to consider the two cases: 1) 5 A is flowing downwards through the 2.0 Ω resistor, and 2) 5 A is flowing upwards through the 2.0 Ω resistor.

neongoats said:
Ohhhh oops, I forgot to add the voltage from the battery... This isn't intuitive to me at all.
No problem. Yeah, it's easy for those of us who have done a few of those problems to forget how confusing things can be at the very beginning when you are trying to take in everything at once.

qneil brings up an interesting point. What does is the circuit doing if the 5 amps is flowing UP through the 2 ohm resistor? It's a good exercise.

What is an ammeter?

An ammeter is a scientific instrument used to measure the magnitude of electrical current in a circuit. It is typically connected in series with the circuit and has a very low resistance to avoid altering the current being measured.

How do you determine current from an ammeter reading?

To determine the current from an ammeter reading, you simply read the value directly from the instrument. The ammeter is designed to measure the current flowing through it, so there is no need for any additional calculations.

What units are used to measure current?

Current is measured in amperes (A), also known as amps. Other common units for current include milliamperes (mA) and microamperes (μA).

How accurate are ammeters?

The accuracy of an ammeter depends on the quality and calibration of the instrument. Most modern ammeters have an accuracy of around 1% to 2%, meaning the reading may be off by 1-2 amps for every 100 amps measured.

Can an ammeter be used to measure alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC)?

Yes, there are ammeters designed specifically for measuring both AC and DC currents. However, it is important to use the correct ammeter for the type of current being measured, as using the wrong type can result in inaccurate readings or damage to the instrument.