1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current drawn from car battery to heat up water

1. Feb 13, 2006 #1
    A small immersion heater can be used in a car to heat a cup of water for coffee or tea. If the heater can heat 120 mL of water from 25 C to 95 C in 8 minutes, a) approximately how much current does it draw from the car's 12-V battery, and b) what is its reistance? Assume the manufacturer's claim of 60% efficiency.

My work:

T(f) - 95 C T(i)= 25 C
    t = 8 min = 480 s
    V= 12 V
    volume = .12 L

First I converted .12 L to kg using density of water, comes out .12 kg.

Then I used the relationship between heat transfer and temperature change equation Q= mcT, specific heat of water is 4186 J/kg Cel

Q = .12kg (4186 J/kgC) (95 C-25 C) = 35162.4 J to heat the water.

Then I used the power equation, Power = work/time = 35162.4 J / 480 s = 73 Watts

Then I used I = P/V, Electric Current = Power / voltage = 73 W/12 V = 6.1 A

The answer in the back of the book says 10 A. I got 6.1 A, which if rounded up could be 10 A and it does say approximately, but I'm not sure if I did this right at all and if my work is wrong he will check it wrong. Am I doing this right or wrong? If wrong, what should I do?? And I'm not sure where the efficiency comes in? Thanks for any help
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2006 #2

Homework Helper

Only 60% of the input power (or energy) is converted to heat by the resistor, that is
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?