Electricity sources vs. fossil fuels

• Thread starter ISamson
  • Start date
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello,
The issue of climate change and energy has been in the news for a long time.
But are electric, chemical or renewable sources really more environmentally friendly than fossil fuels? Fossil fuels need to be burned, which produces CO2, which retains the heat from escaping our atmosphere, so it becomes hotter on Earth. But are electrical engines really the answer?
It is kind of cool that electricity can be reused.
In the replies could you please refer to chemical explanations and opinions?
Thank you.

Answers and Replies

Bandersnatch
Science Advisor
But are electric, chemical or renewable sources really more environmentally friendly than fossil fuels?
You're comparing apples (fossil fuels and renewables) with oranges (electric is not a source of energy; you need to get if from some actual source) and with apples under a different name (burning fossil fuels is a chemical reaction, so how is that different from 'chemical source'?).

Can you clarify your question?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Why generate energy if we can just get electricity from a plug?

There are no electrical sources of energy. I think you have a question in there somewhere, but I don't think it's what you asked.

Likes russ_watters
russ_watters
Mentor
Yikes. I'll give it a shot...
But are electric, chemical or renewable sources really more environmentally friendly than fossil fuels?
1. There are no direct electrical sources of energy...the closest thing might be solar, but most of our electrical energy comes from fossil fuels (in most countries. Exception: France). So no, at the moment electricity is not more environmentally friendly than fossil fuels because electrical energy is fossil fuel energy!
2. Fossil fuels are a chemical source of energy.
It is kind of cool that electricity can be reused.
No it can't.

ISamson
Gold Member
Last edited:
russ_watters
Mentor
But you con't destroy electrons completely, can you?
Correct. You can't destroy them even a little bit....so....what do you think electrical energy is?

Can I ask your education level?

Last edited:
ISamson
Gold Member
That looks like about 60% of a sentence...

Correct. You can't destroy them even a little bit....so....what do you think electrical energy is?

Can I ask your education level?

Electrical energy is a flow of electrons

Sorry if I disappoint you, but my education level is middle school, year 7 in Australia.

russ_watters
Mentor
Electrical energy is a flow of electrons
Right. flow of electrons. So it isn't about destroying them. And like water flowing over a waterfall, you only get to use a certain unit of electricity once unless you recharge it somehow.
Sorry if I disappoint you, but my education level is middle school, year 7 in Australia.
Not disappointed, I just wanted to know what I was dealing with so i could help you better. :smile: We don't get a lot of 7th graders, so I wasn't sure how best to talk to you.

ISamson
Gold Member
Why generate energy if we can just get electricity from a plug?

I mean how it gets there in the plug initially. How the electricity is actually produced and used.