Electrocution by iPhone charger (involving a bathtub)

In summary, a man died after dropping his iPhone into a bath while it was charging. The coroner said it was an accident and there was no fault with the iPhone or the charger.
Guineafowl
This link:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/03/17/man-died-charging-iphone-bath/

Briefly, a man was using his iPhone in the bath while he was charging it. He dropped it in and was electrocuted. How?

Where did the mains reference come from - transformer? Optocoupler? Y-Class capacitor? I always thought Apple chargers were well designed safety-wise.

Isn't a bathtub isolated electrically? (Yes, the taps are bonded, I know).
Why didn't his RCD (GFCI) trip?In short... how?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Guineafowl said:
Briefly, a man was using his iPhone in the bath while he was charging it. He dropped it in and was electrocuted. How?

for all us here, not knowing all the facts of the situation ... the answer can only be "cause unknown"

Guineafowl said:
Where did the mains reference come from - transformer? Optocoupler? Y-Class capacitor? I always thought Apple chargers were well designed safety-wise.

as I said, unknown, there must have been a cabling fault of some sort

Guineafowl said:
Isn't a bathtub isolated electrically? (Yes, the taps are bonded, I know).

maybe / maybe ... again without the specific info ... cause unknown
Guineafowl said:
Why didn't his RCD (GFCI) trip?

probably wasn't one installedDave

The bathtub drain is also bonded.

anorlunda said:
The bathtub drain is also bonded.
Not in the UK, I believe.

In any case, is the 5v from an Apple charger not 'floating'?

It's not really clear what fell in the bath.
If it was a cable carrying AC mains to some other device, the result is unsurprising.

They talk about an extension cord from the hallway ...
PC Craig Pattison told the inquest at West London Coroner's Court how he found the extension lead running from the hallway outside into the bathroom.

"We found an iPhone plugged into the extension cable and then the charger element in the bath," he explained.

The phrase "charger element in the bath" leads me to believe that the AC cord and charger itself fell into the bath, not just the phone and charger cable end. The hallway probably would not have had a GFCI (at least not in the US - those are more commonly used in the bathroom and kitchens or any wet area, but older homes may not have them).

Also:

Coroner Dr Sean Cummings said: "This was a tragic accident and I have no reason to believe at all that there anything other than it being completely accidental.

If only the phone side was in the bath, he should not have been electrocuted, as mentioned, that side should be isolated from the mains. It would take a fault in the charger, and I think they would have mentioned it, and not only called it an accident.

Likes davenn
The low voltage surely "floats" (no pun intended)

US code says there should NOT be a receptacle within reach of the tub, for obvious reasons.

That suggests he had it plugged into an extension cord,
and if that fell into the tub anything could happen.

That said, low voltage will really shock when your your skin is wet. I state from personal experience it is impossible to hand tighten a loose 12 volt boat battery terminal when you're soaked with seawater . It would not surprise me if somebody immersed chest deep in water maybe laced with bath salts were to get electrocuted by fifteen volts.

My bet though is on the extension cord scenario, he got the high side of his power supply in the water.
12880549?wid=520&hei=520&fmt=pjpeg.jpg

EDIT i see NTL got there ahead of me. :)

Last edited:
NTL2009 said:
The hallway probably would not have had a GFCI (at least not in the US

Awhile back, a U.K.-based EE on another forum I participate in told me that the U.K. tends to be more rigorous than the U.S. in its standards for GFCI in old buildings as well as new. Obviously that's a very general observation & doesn't speak to this particular situation.

It's not quite clear, is it?! Oh, I wish for more technically-minded journalists...

If he had the trailing socket on his chest, charger plugged in, then a) that is catastrophically stupid, and b) I don't get the talk of sending Apple a letter about safety, nor the comments about there 'only being a transformer between you and the mains'. He got a shock from the trailing socket. No transformer or Apple product involved.

willem2 said:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/31112...n-a-bath-with-the-mobile-resting-on-his-chestI Think you could get a current through your chest that won't trigger a GFCI.

The coroner probably should sent a warning to the manufacturer of the extension cord.
Tell them to put a warning in the instructions?:

"Don't plug this in and take it in the bath with you?"

There are all sorts of very obvious remarks we could make about stupidity here, but the fact is, there is no need to change the instructions of any device, or any laws, or to berate any manufacturers. All we need is for responsible adults to behave as such.

*Gets on soapbox* Our current risk-averse legislative climate is so tight, and the injury lawyers are so close over our shoulders, that daily life, if possible, has become 'too' safe. Every hole in the ground has a fence, signs and lights; every downed branch has reflective tape on it and a bored man directing you round it. People walk along the street looking at nothing but their phones, expecting not to trip, fall or bang into something in doing so. Our danger perception is blunted. Look at the idiots who went on a winter car journey in T-shirts - no torches, warm clothing, spare wheel, food or basic recovery gear. They nearly died from a puncture. This poor man may have been an adult in other ways, but he had a child's idea of risk.

Likes jim hardy
He dropped the extension lead (mains Voltage) into the bath. The fact that he was charging a phone is immaterial.

From Willem 's Sun link:
He suffered severe burns on this chest, arm and hand when part of it touched the water.

Wife Tanya found him when she returned home and first thought he had been attacked because his injuries were so bad.
5 volts at an amp from low voltage side of the charger won't do that . .

1. What is electrocution by iPhone charger?

Electrocution by iPhone charger refers to the scenario where a person is fatally shocked by electricity from an iPhone charger while in a bathtub. This can occur when the charger is plugged into a wall outlet and the person is using their phone or charging it while in the bathtub.

2. How does electrocution by iPhone charger happen?

Electrocution by iPhone charger happens when the charger or the phone comes into contact with water, creating a path for electricity to flow through the person's body. Water is a conductor of electricity, and when a person is in a bathtub filled with water, they become part of the electrical circuit and can be electrocuted.

3. Can electrocution by iPhone charger be prevented?

Yes, electrocution by iPhone charger can be prevented by taking proper precautions. It is important to avoid using electronic devices, especially plugged-in chargers, near water. It is also recommended to keep chargers and other electronic devices away from the bathtub or sink to avoid any accidental contact with water.

4. What are the potential dangers of using electronic devices in the bathroom?

The main danger of using electronic devices in the bathroom is the risk of electrocution. Water is a conductor of electricity, and using electronic devices near water can create a dangerous situation where a person can be shocked or electrocuted. In addition, using electronic devices in the bathroom can also increase the risk of slipping and falling, which can lead to injuries.

5. What should I do if I suspect someone has been electrocuted by an iPhone charger in a bathtub?

If you suspect someone has been electrocuted by an iPhone charger in a bathtub, it is important to act quickly. Call for emergency medical assistance immediately and do not touch the person or attempt to remove them from the water until the electricity has been turned off. If possible, unplug the charger or turn off the power to the bathroom before attempting to help the person.