What caused the teenager to die while charging her phone in the bath?

In summary: Anyway, as you say above, the point is moot until we know the...In summary, a teenage girl died charging her phone in a bathtub, possibly because the charger she was using lacked a class Y capacitor.
Averagesupernova said:
Consider simply banning the replacement of an old two wire receptacle.
:ok:...

But why... ?
Averagesupernova said:
Extension cords throughout the house would be the result.
Two prong plugs will fit three prong outlets, won't they...?

Of course, there's always the good ol'... cheater plug.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm just pointing out that in the USA it is permissible to leave two wire cables in the wall and replace the worn out receptacle. And in the case of a kitchen countertop or bathroom a GFCI receptacle would be required AND last I checked GFCI receptacles are not available without the third prong. They are required to be labeled as ungrounded and the safety a GFCI receptacle offers is considered good enough in these scenarios. I was also pointing out that it is unreasonable to simply consider an outlet replaced in this manner unsafe to the point of requiring a blank plate installed with a receptacle no longer available as it would lead to many many extension cords. Contrary to what many folks think, safety has tradeoffs and sometimes it is accepted that one installation is acceptable even though it is technically less safe than other installations.

Averagesupernova said:
I was also pointing out that it is unreasonable to simply consider an outlet replaced in this manner unsafe to the point of requiring a blank plate installed with a receptacle no longer available as it would lead to many many extension cords.
:ok:... that answered both the questions, thank you.