Electrolysis of Water to Create NaOH

  • Thread starter Thread starter max6333
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Electrolysis
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
max6333
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
So, when water is electrolysed NaOH is created,but since NaOH is an electrolyte itself how de we know that the NaOH doesn't start electrolysing too?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
What are the products of electrolysis of NaOH?
 
max6333 said:
Sodium chlorate and some other stuff
Try again. You want to know how to tell whether or not NaOH is being electrolyzed, remember.
 
I thought somebody had experience and could tell me this from experience, I tried making it a lot of time and it allways gets contaminated from the collapsing of my carbon electrodes. So before i find out if will stop when its done (so i know when its done) I won't go and find a power supply that doesn't collapse my electrodes,also i need to make a cell membrane
 
already did,I'm just going to use it for getting a small amount of pure sodium
 
max6333 said:
already did,I'm just going to use it for getting a small amount of pure sodium

Which is exactly the reason why I have to lock the thread.

You won't easily get pure Na by electrolysis at home. This process requires high temperature and is quite dangerous. It is obvious you are not experienced enough to even try.