Electrolysis of Water to Create NaOH

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of electrolysis and how it creates NaOH. The person is wondering if the NaOH itself can be further electrolyzed and asks about the products of electrolysis of NaOH. The conversation then shifts to the challenges of obtaining pure sodium through electrolysis and the potential dangers involved. The person is advised not to attempt this at home due to the high temperature and lack of experience.
So, when water is electrolysed NaOH is created,but since NaOH is an electrolyte itself how de we know that the NaOH doesn't start electrolysing too?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What are the products of electrolysis of NaOH?

Sodium chlorate and some other stuff

max6333 said:
Sodium chlorate and some other stuff
Try again. You want to know how to tell whether or not NaOH is being electrolyzed, remember.

I thought somebody had experience and could tell me this from experience, I tried making it a lot of time and it allways gets contaminated from the collapsing of my carbon electrodes. So before i find out if will stop when its done (so i know when its done) I won't go and find a power supply that doesn't collapse my electrodes,also i need to make a cell membrane

Allready did,I'm just going to use it for getting a small amount of pure sodium

max6333 said:
Allready did,I'm just going to use it for getting a small amount of pure sodium

Which is exactly the reason why I have to lock the thread.

You won't easily get pure Na by electrolysis at home. This process requires high temperature and is quite dangerous. It is obvious you are not experienced enough to even try.

What is electrolysis of water to create NaOH?

Electrolysis of water to create NaOH is a chemical process that uses an electric current to split water molecules into hydrogen gas and oxygen gas. The hydrogen gas is then combined with sodium hydroxide (NaOH) to produce a solution of NaOH, also known as caustic soda.

What materials are needed for electrolysis of water to create NaOH?

The materials needed for electrolysis of water to create NaOH include a source of water, two electrodes (typically made of a conductive material such as platinum or graphite), a power source, and a container to hold the water and electrodes.

What is the purpose of electrolysis of water to create NaOH?

The purpose of electrolysis of water to create NaOH is to produce a solution of NaOH, which has many industrial uses such as in the production of paper, soap, and textiles. It also has applications in water treatment and as a chemical reagent in laboratories.

What is the chemical reaction that occurs during electrolysis of water to create NaOH?

The chemical reaction that occurs during electrolysis of water to create NaOH is the splitting of water molecules into hydrogen gas (H2) and oxygen gas (O2). This is achieved by passing an electric current through the water, which causes the water molecules to break down into their component elements.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using electrolysis of water to create NaOH?

The advantages of using electrolysis of water to create NaOH include the production of a high-purity solution of NaOH, the ability to control the concentration of the solution, and the environmentally friendly nature of the process (as it does not produce any harmful byproducts). The main disadvantage is the high energy consumption required for the process, making it more expensive compared to other methods of producing NaOH.

Suggested for: Electrolysis of Water to Create NaOH

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies