Electrolysis Wattage: A New Engine Concept Explored

In summary: The main problem is that the gas bubbles are too heavy to be lifted off the plates by the current. You would need an enormous amount of voltage to overcome the gas bubble's inertia.Welcome to PF!In summary, this person is trying to build a Stirling engine-like device, but is having trouble understanding the wattage and voltage concepts necessary for the project. They are also considering using ignition coils to increase the voltage.
twiz_
After my endeavors on Electro-Tech-Online, I have concluded that they are the least bit constructive.

Now, I wasn't sure which section to post this in, so I went with EE. I'm currently developing a new engine concept similar to a Stirling Engine, and I have no idea whether it will actually work. I'm having a hard time grasping the wattage concept of the electrolysis. I understand that I should probably go for more wattage in general, but I want to know whether the amperage or the voltage is more important in conduct electrolysis at an extremely fast rate. One thing I think is worth mentioning is that as the piston is moving across the cylinder, more water will be separating the two electrodes, so how will this affect the ideal voltage and wattage?

Sorry if my questions are too farfetched, but I'm excited about building the engine to see if it works properly and efficiently within the next month or so.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I was also wondering about using ignition coils connected to the electrodes, which are going to be supplied by a couple of car batteries, in order to make a higher voltage. Is this a good idea?

Welcome to PF!

This is all very vague. What pistons? Can you draw us a diagram of what you are trying to build? While vague, it does have the scent of a potential perpetual motion machine, which if that is your intent, you are on the wrong track.

I'll let an EE help with the nuts and bolts of the electrolysis.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

This is all very vague. What pistons? Can you draw us a diagram of what you are trying to build? While vague, it does have the scent of a potential perpetual motion machine, which if that is your intent, you are on the wrong track.

I'll let an EE help with the nuts and bolts of the electrolysis.
No, it is not a perpetual motion machine. Just as a Stirling Engine requires a constant heat source, my design requires only a power supply. Since it's late I will try to draw a diagram in the morning.

Hi twiz_. It's current that determines how rapidly gas is evolved. You need a large area of electrode exposed to the solution. This is difficult to arrange, because as the gas bubbles cover the plates this tends to insulate them from the electrolyte and restricts the current. Increasing the voltage is next to futile.

NascentOxygen said:
Hi twiz_. It's current that determines how rapidly gas is evolved. You need a large area of electrode exposed to the solution. This is difficult to arrange, because as the gas bubbles cover the plates this tends to insulate them from the electrolyte and restricts the current. Increasing the voltage is next to futile.
I remember someone telling me that a high voltage/low amperage was key to a fast rate of electrolysis, but they were clearly wrong. Anyway, would using a method of electrolysis of water vapor be useful? Since then the electrolyte will be more hybrid with the rest of the substances in the mixture. This will also eliminate the need for a condenser, rendering it more efficient. Perhaps I could create a system that continually increases electrode surface area as more water enters the cylinder. I could even implement this idea on the part of the crank arm that's inside the cylinder. I know you guys have no idea what I'm talking about, but I just got home and I'm going to work on a drawing tonight.

Better yet, I could create a cork shaped electrode that moves in a circular motion as the piston moves across the cylinder which automatically pushes the bubbles out of the way.

I can't picture electrolysis of water vapor working. I expect it would have a high resistance, but I'm no expert.

I don't know how large-scale electrolysis works, but there would seem to be a need to mechanically remove the bubbles adhering to the plates, either by using some sort of a brush or by 'hosing' it off by arranging a turbulent water flow.

You will be disappointed by how much electricity is needed to generate a puny volume of gases.

1. What is electrolysis wattage?

Electrolysis wattage is a measure of the electrical power required to perform the electrolysis process, which involves using an electric current to split water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen gases.

2. How does electrolysis wattage relate to engine design?

The concept of using electrolysis wattage in an engine involves using the hydrogen and oxygen gases produced from the electrolysis process as a fuel source to power the engine, rather than traditional fossil fuels.

3. What are the potential benefits of using electrolysis wattage in engines?

Some potential benefits of using electrolysis wattage in engines include reduced emissions, increased fuel efficiency, and potentially lower costs as hydrogen is a renewable resource.

4. What are some challenges associated with using electrolysis wattage in engines?

One of the main challenges is the high energy input required to perform electrolysis, which can make it inefficient and costly compared to other fuel sources. There are also concerns about the safety and storage of hydrogen gas.

5. Is there any current research or development in this area?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development into the use of electrolysis wattage in engines. Some companies have already developed prototypes and are testing them for potential use in various applications, such as cars and power generators.