Calculating actual power (wattage) created by a simple generator

In summary, the maximum output electrical power of a generator is related to the maximum input mechanical power by its efficiency, typically around 95%. This means that 1 kW of mechanical input power would result in 0.95 kW of electrical output power. The formula for calculating the maximum output power is P = V2/R, where V is the induced voltage and R is the load resistance. However, this does not take into account any losses in the system. The efficiency of a commercial generator is typically around 95%, but it may vary for different types of generators.
Steve S
Hi All,

I am thinking about building a simple electrical generator, and I am trying to make sure I clearly understand the theory and expected results before starting the project. I have two basic questions:

1) How do I calculate the generators maximum current and wattage, if i know the induced emf?

2) How is this generators output power related / limited by the input mechanical power?

At the moment the concept is a simple renewable energy source which is the prime mover, acting to drive a magnet up and down a cylindrical coil, with N turns. So I believe this should be a simple classical problem.

I am clear that the voltage induced is calculated by Faraday's law - and I am comfortable with how this would be develop. Based on my initial setup of 200 turns, 6000gauss magnet, a cylinder of radius 4cm and a magnet travel speed of 0.25m/s i get a voltage of ε = 4.824V

I am conformtable with Ohms law, however, where i am confused is how I calculate the actual current and generators maximum wattage. Suppose for arguments sake I have a 1 Ohm load resistor, and neglect the impedance of the generator coil - I think that the induced current would be :

4.824V / 1 Ohm = 4.824 Watts

But if I reduced the loads resistance to say 0.5 Ohm, i get:

4.824 / 0.5 Ohm = 9.648 Watts

Similarily if I put a load resistance of 0.01 Ohm, i get a figure of 482Watts

So I am unclear as to how the generator can seemingly produce more power, by reducing the load resistance. Surely the actual power produced is limited by the amount of input energy coming in from the magnet?

Is there a way to calculate the maximum theoretical output and if so, can someone provide some guidance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Steve,

You asked for an output formula for generator, I don't have it all, but I have had what I could not find it by Google yet. I am building a similar wind power project, It is easier to buy one then we have nothing to say here.

3 factors excluding input: Strong magnet, best coil, and efficient configuratikn for maximum output from low speed with durability.

On coil, we known that device can not burn in in the short run, so ampere-turn must be met the standard table. Wind power using wire size 18 for lasting, a few using size 22 with reasons

From formula for coil:
L=E/I = (μ)*N^2*A/l

You have N, A, l, and (mu) from B = (mu)*I*N , current capital I not lower case l for former lenght.

From above, you and I needed more N and the shorter l length for higher L, and we have smaller diameter wire size where your neodymium magnet and configuration are at best for profit.

If you are disagree, please tell us why?

Want to see my works ?

http://www.lecan.net/Immigrants.html

You will probably do better in the electrical engineering forum ...

The easy one:
Steve S said:
2) How is this generators output power related / limited by the input mechanical power?
The maximum output electrical power is equal to the maximum input mechanical power times the generator's efficiency. Typically for a commercial generator, that's on the order of 95%. So 1 kW of mechanical input power yields 0.95 kW of electrical output power.

Hi All,

thanks for your response so far.. I will try and clarify each of the points in turn

1) I might be wrong on this, but the formula you have given is to work out the inductance of a coil (in Henrys), which is used to define how a coil acts in a similar manner to a resistor - so this is the wrong equation to apply when trying to calculate generated current.

2) My working out for 4.8V is as follows (i'm assuming it is a perfect coil, and also not considering effects at the end of the coil):

Coil Length = 0.5m
Magnet Travel Speed = 2 m/s
T = 0.25s (time for magnet to travel coil length)

N = 200 turns
B = 0.6T (or 6000 Gauss)
Coil Diameter = 8cm --> A = Pi * 0.04^2
A = 0.01005

E = (-)200 * [ (0.6 * 0.01005) / 0.25 ]

E = 4.8V

3) I'm aware of the performance of commercial generators (i'm an electrical engineer), but I'm trying to understand how the figured and background theory work - as the concept I'm trying to come up with, would be very different to a typical commercial generator.

But yes I agree the output power must equal then input power, minus losses. So if my magnet weighed 1Kg and was traveling at 2.5m/s - then its maximum kinetic energy would be = 1/2 mv^2

K.E. = 2 Joules / sec (2 Watts) ?

4) thanks for the link - but the explanation on the Yahoo answers, highlights the point I made in my original post. Using the simple Ohms law relation V/R = I if V is fixed at 4.8V, and you use a very low resistance load - it would appear that you can get a very large wattage output - which clearly isn't the case for the small magenta I'm considering. (see point 3)Thanks
Steve

Sorry, I can't be of anymore help than to correct one of your formulas that you used in your original post: P = V2/R, not P = V/R. So at 4.824V and 1Ω, power would be 4.8242/1 = 23.271W.

And you said the induce current would be 4.824W, but it should be in amperes, not watts - just making sure you know the differences between the two.

What is a simple generator?

A simple generator is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. It typically consists of a rotating coil of wire within a magnetic field, which produces an alternating current.

How do you calculate the actual power created by a simple generator?

The actual power created by a simple generator can be calculated by multiplying the voltage output of the generator by the current flowing through it. This is known as the power output or wattage.

What factors affect the power output of a simple generator?

The power output of a simple generator is affected by several factors, including the speed of rotation, the strength of the magnetic field, and the number of turns in the coil. Additionally, the resistance of the circuit and the efficiency of the generator can also impact the power output.

How does the power output of a simple generator change with increasing load?

As the load on a simple generator increases, the amount of power it can produce decreases. This is because more current is required to power the load, resulting in a higher resistance in the circuit and a decrease in the generator's power output.

Can the power output of a simple generator be increased?

Yes, the power output of a simple generator can be increased by increasing the speed of rotation, strengthening the magnetic field, or increasing the number of turns in the coil. Additionally, using more efficient materials and reducing resistance in the circuit can also increase the power output.