Electrolytic cell voltage vs amperage graph

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment on an electrolytic cell and the possibility of side products forming at higher voltages. The individual is analyzing a volt vs amperage graph and questioning if a change in resistance would indicate a different product being formed. They mention a high R2 value as an indication that increased voltage is not causing other reactions. More information on the cell components and experimental plan is needed for a definitive answer.
Latsabb
Hello.

I have been running several experiments on an electrolytic cell, and I am trying to determine if side products are being formed at higher voltages. My thinking is that once the initial potential barrier is broken, and the resistance stabilizes, a volt vs amperage graph should be linear if it is the same product being made throughout. Once a new product is being made, a change in resistance (likely decrease, as new ions are added to the mix) would happen, and there would be either a jump, or a change in slope on the graph.

Is my thinking off base? I have a graph ranging from about 2.2V up to 7.8V, and I get an R2 value of 0.9997. Would this not be a very good indication that the increased voltage is not causing other reactions?

You will need to be more definitive about your cell components;i.e., electrolyte solution used or if using a melt system, composition of electrodes, power source as well as more detail on your plan of interest.

1. What is an electrolytic cell voltage vs amperage graph?

An electrolytic cell voltage vs amperage graph is a graphical representation of the relationship between the voltage and current in an electrolytic cell. It shows how the voltage changes as the current is varied.

2. How is an electrolytic cell voltage vs amperage graph useful?

This graph is useful for understanding the behavior of an electrolytic cell and determining the optimum operating conditions. It can also be used to predict the amount of product that can be produced in a given amount of time.

3. What factors affect the shape of an electrolytic cell voltage vs amperage graph?

The shape of the graph is affected by the type of electrolyte, concentration of the electrolyte, temperature, and the materials used for the electrodes. It can also be influenced by external factors such as pH and impurities in the electrolyte.

4. How does the voltage change with increasing amperage in an electrolytic cell?

The voltage generally decreases with increasing amperage in an electrolytic cell. This is because as the current increases, the resistance in the cell also increases, leading to a decrease in voltage. Additionally, as the current increases, the rate of electrolysis also increases, leading to a decrease in voltage.

5. How does the electrolytic cell voltage vs amperage graph differ from a galvanic cell voltage vs amperage graph?

An electrolytic cell voltage vs amperage graph shows a decrease in voltage with increasing amperage, while a galvanic cell voltage vs amperage graph shows an increase in voltage with increasing amperage. This is because electrolytic cells require an external source of energy to drive the reaction, while galvanic cells generate their own energy.