Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrolytic cell voltage vs amperage graph

1. May 10, 2016 #1
    Hello.

I have been running several experiments on an electrolytic cell, and I am trying to determine if side products are being formed at higher voltages. My thinking is that once the initial potential barrier is broken, and the resistance stabilizes, a volt vs amperage graph should be linear if it is the same product being made throughout. Once a new product is being made, a change in resistance (likely decrease, as new ions are added to the mix) would happen, and there would be either a jump, or a change in slope on the graph.

Is my thinking off base? I have a graph ranging from about 2.2V up to 7.8V, and I get an R2 value of 0.9997. Would this not be a very good indication that the increased voltage is not causing other reactions?

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2016 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. May 22, 2016 #3

James Pelezo

Gold Member

You will need to be more definitive about your cell components;i.e., electrolyte solution used or if using a melt system, composition of electrodes, power source as well as more detail on your plan of interest.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted