Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrolytic vs. electrochemical vs. galvanic cells.

1. Aug 18, 2007 #1
    So my question is what is the difference between these cells? This always confuses me. I know that electrolytic cells are nonspontaneous and that their cathode is negative which means that electrons are going against their gradients here. I am also aware of the fact that a galvanic cells is spontaneous and that the cathode is positive, however, I was unsure if this is its own cell type or is it a type of electrochemical cell?

Thanks for clearing this confusion up for me!
    drteeth is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2007 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Drteeth, you just answered your own question. What confuses you?
    Electrolytic - The reaction needs energy to be put into the system from external source; otherwise the reaction does not happen.
    Galvanic - the reaction happens because it WANTS to happen; no energy needs to be supplied from the outside.

4. Aug 18, 2007 #3
    **** ... i forgot that the anodes/cathodes are different charges, i was asked a bunch of questions on that on my final. eek!

5. Aug 18, 2007 #4
    Ok, I think I figured this out - both electrolytic and galvanic cells are electrochemical cells. It was really just the classifications that I wasnt getting...

Thanks for the help...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  6. Sep 13, 2011 #5
    In electrolytic cell, electrical energy is converted to chemical energy where as in galvanic cell, chemical energy is converted to electrical energy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?