1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Induction / Transformers

1. May 21, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A simple transformer is constructed by wrapping wire around opposite ends of an iron rod to form solenoids A and B. Solenoid A is connected to a 12-V battery and a variable resistor, while solenoid B is conncted to an ammeter.
    [​IMG]

A. If current through solenoid A is increased, how will the magnetic flux through the iron rod be affected. Support your answer with a diagram.

B. Determine the direction of the induced magnetic field in solenoid B if the current in solenoid A is increased. Support with a diagram.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    A) Nothing in my notes is like this. I dont know what it means by magnetic flux. By using the second left hand rule, I figured out that the right side is north pole, and the left side is south pole.

B) Again, i can use the second left hand rule, but I dunno what would be changed if the current was increased in solenoid A.

Last edited: May 21, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2007 #2

ranger

Gold Member

Simply stated, magnetic flux are lines of force representing the magnetic field. The more concentrated the flux, the stronger the field.

How is the magnetic field affected by the core of the solenoid? Hint: think about the formula to find the strength of the magnetic field of a solenoid.

Is that the diagram you drew, or was it given to you?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?