Electromagnetic theory: potential problem

In summary, the electrostatic potential does not satisfy the superposition because the boundaries of the potential are different in the two parts of the problem.
meanyack

Homework Statement

To see the problem, please click the link below: potential_problem.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]\nabla[/tex][tex]^{}2[/tex]V=0

Seperation of variables: V(x,y)=X(x)Y(y)

The Attempt at a Solution

For simplicity I divide problem into two parts:

1st part- Click the link below: potential_problem_part1.jpg

I tried to use separation of variables, yet, didn't decide which one would be sin(kx),cos(kx) and exp([tex]\pm[/tex]kx).
Here is another problem : There is no way to determine "k",and thus use sum of "fourier sine series".

2nd part- Click the link below: potential_problem_part2.jpg
The potential at x=0 is a step function i.e

[tex] V(x=0,y) =\left\{\begin{array}{cc}0,&\mbox{ if }x<0\\V_{0} , & \mbox{ if } x>0\end{array}\right[/tex]
so, how to find the functions for this boundary?

Attachments

• potential_problem.jpg
    potential_problem.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 344
  • potential_problem_part1.jpg
    potential_problem_part1.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 366
  • potential_problem_part2.jpg
    potential_problem_part2.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 371
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you separate the problem as you did? Just use Laplace's equation & separation of variables for the problem as it is given.

jdwood983 said:
Why would you separate the problem as you did? Just use Laplace's equation & separation of variables for the problem as it is given.
Agreed... in fact I just did so to check and it seems reasonably straightforward (except that you may have to look up a Fourier transform).

jdwood983 said:

If you don't seperate, you can't find the constant k=n*pi/(2*a) because, in original shape boundaries are different so you can't choose a cyclic function ie f(x)=f(x+T).

Actually, it's not an easy question, because you will be stuck when you look try to solve first part. To understand, give a try

diazona said:
Agreed... in fact I just did so to check and it seems reasonably straightforward (except that you may have to look up a Fourier transform).
Did you mean Fourier transform or Fourier series expansion? You know, they are different

meanyack said:
If you don't seperate, you can't find the constant k=n*pi/(2*a) because, in original shape boundaries are different so you can't choose a cyclic function ie f(x)=f(x+T).

Actually, it's not an easy question, because you will be stuck when you look try to solve first part. To understand, give a try

I'm not saying it's an easy problem, it is a difficult one. But what you have done, by separating the problem, is create two different problems (really 3 problems, but let's not get too technical here). You cannot combine the two solutions and expect the same result as if you had done it properly the first time.

It will be a Fourier series integral you will need to have in your solution.

In the original problem, what are your boundary conditions?

The boundary conditions are on the picture
Let me write them again
v(x=0,y)=0
v(x,y=0)=0
v(x,y=a)=0
while x goes to inf, V(x,y)=Y(y)

Edit: You said " You cannot combine the two solutions and expect the same result as if you had done it properly the first time." but, yes we can. Actually, we have done it in class and superpositioning two different problems which gives the first problem is relatively easy. If you want I can post it

Last edited:
meanyack said:
Let me write them again
v(x=0,y)=0
v(x,y=0)=0
v(x,y=a)=0

Ummm, no...look at the picture and try again.

meanyack said:
Edit: You said " You cannot combine the two solutions and expect the same result as if you had done it properly the first time." but, yes we can. Actually, we have done it in class and superpositioning two different problems which gives the first problem is relatively easy. If you want I can post it

While this is true and possible, it is not always possible. In most cases, you cannot (and should not) assume that two totally different problems can be superpositioned to solve a third problem. I have done several problems myself that allow you to use superposition as well as several problems that don't allow you to use superposition. In general, you should not immediately assume you can use superposition, unless someone (the author, the professor) tells you that you can use it.

jdwood983 said:
While this is true and possible, it is not always possible. In most cases, you cannot (and should not) assume that two totally different problems can be superpositioned to solve a third problem. I have done several problems myself that allow you to use superposition as well as several problems that don't allow you to use superposition. In general, you should not immediately assume you can use superposition, unless someone (the author, the professor) tells you that you can use it.

Could you provide an example where the electrostatic potential does not satisfy the superposition principle?

meanyack said:
Let me write them again
v(x=0,y)=0
v(x,y=0)=0
v(x,y=a)=0

I'd probably solve the problem with [itex]V(L,y)=Y(y)[/itex] first, and then take the limit as [itex]L\to\infty[/itex].

gabbagabbahey said:
I'd probably solve the problem with [itex]V(L,y)=Y(y)[/itex] first, and then take the limit as [itex]L\to\infty[/itex].

Actually, I was wondering that. This can help me... thanks

gabbagabbahey said:
Could you provide an example where the electrostatic potential does not satisfy the superposition principle?

I don't know any electrostatic potential problems nor did I make the claim that there are electric potential problems that don't follow the superposition principle; I simply stated that in general, you should not assume the superposition principle holds because I've taken enough non-linear dynamics courses to know that you shouldn't.

Hey guys, our instructor posted the answer to the question. I never thought spliting the problem like in answer... The method is quite impressive. If you wonder, here is the link
http://www.fen.bilkent.edu.tr/%7Ebulutay/315/hw3_s1.gif
http://www.fen.bilkent.edu.tr/%7Ebulutay/315/hw3_s2.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

What is electromagnetic theory and why is it important?

Electromagnetic theory is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles and electromagnetic fields. It is important because it helps us understand and manipulate electromagnetic phenomena, which are essential to many modern technologies such as electricity, magnetism, and radio waves.

What is a potential problem in electromagnetic theory?

A potential problem in electromagnetic theory refers to a situation where the potential, or voltage, of a system is not well-defined. This can occur when there are discontinuities or singularities in the electric field, causing the potential to approach infinity or become undefined.

What are some applications of electromagnetic theory?

Electromagnetic theory has numerous applications in everyday life, including the generation and transmission of electricity, the operation of electronic devices such as computers and smartphones, and the production of light and radio waves for communication and entertainment. It is also crucial in fields such as medical imaging, satellite navigation, and wireless power transfer.

What are the key equations in electromagnetic theory?

The key equations in electromagnetic theory are Maxwell's equations, which describe the fundamental laws of electricity and magnetism. These include Gauss's law, which relates electric fields to the distribution of electric charges, and Faraday's law, which explains the generation of electric fields due to changing magnetic fields.

How does electromagnetic theory relate to other fields of science?

Electromagnetic theory has strong connections to other fields of science, such as quantum mechanics, relativity, and optics. Quantum mechanics helps explain the behavior of subatomic particles in electromagnetic fields, while relativity shows how electric and magnetic fields are interconnected in the fabric of spacetime. Optics deals with the behavior of light, which is an electromagnetic phenomenon.