1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Vector Fields (Static)

1. Mar 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Use the integral form and symmetry arguments to compute the electric field produced by the following charge densities:

(i) Point charge q, placed at the origin, in 3 dimensions;
    (ii) Point charge q, placed at the origin, in 2 dimensions;
    (iii) Point charge q, placed at the origin, in 1 dimension;
    (iv) Sphere of charge Q, with center at the origin, in 3 dimensions;
    (v) Sphere of charge Q, with center at the origin, in 6 dimensions;

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\vec{E}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] are the electrical and magnetic vector fields, respectively

Maxwell's Equations (with all constants set to 1):

[itex]\vec{\nabla}[/itex] [itex]\times[/itex] [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] = -[itex]\partial[/itex][itex]\vec{B}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]t
    [itex]\vec{\nabla}[/itex] [itex]\times[/itex] [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] = [itex]\partial[/itex][itex]\vec{E}[/itex]/[itex]\partial[/itex]t + [itex]\vec{j}[/itex]
    [itex]\vec{\nabla}[/itex] [itex]\cdot[/itex] [itex]\vec{E}[/itex] = [itex]\rho[/itex]
    [itex]\vec{\nabla}[/itex] [itex]\cdot[/itex] [itex]\vec{B}[/itex] = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

No idea how to even set it up. I'm a Math major taking Vector Calculus, Physics is not my cup of tea lol.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2012 #2
    Gauss's law will figure heavily here. See if you can make headway with that.

4. Mar 21, 2012 #3
    The different dimensions are what is confusing me.

5. Mar 22, 2012 #4
    Think of distances in different dimensions. What is the length of a radial vector in 1,2, and 3 dimensions?

6. Mar 22, 2012 #5
    So that would be the vector that connects the origin to whatever point charge I'm using (in whatever dimensions the problem defines)?

7. Mar 23, 2012 #6
    Yes or the distance from the point charge to the field point in question.

8. Mar 25, 2012 #7
  9. Mar 25, 2012 #8
    Here's what I've got so far for part 4:

Vn = [itex]\frac{R}{n}[/itex] [itex]\times[/itex] 4R2, where n is the dimensions and R is the radius

ρ(r) = Q/(4πR3/3), where Q is the total charge of the sphere

[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] Q = [itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex][itex]\int[/itex] ρ dV = ρ [itex]\times[/itex] volume = (4πR3/3)ρ

So then I think I would use the integral form:

∫∫ [itex]\vec{E}[/itex](r) [itex]\cdot[/itex] [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] dS

But [itex]\vec{E}[/itex](r) [itex]\cdot[/itex] [itex]\hat{n}[/itex] = 1, right?

Then apply the divergence theorem to get (in whatever n dimensions):

[itex]\underbrace{∫...∫}_{n}[/itex] ([itex]\vec{\nabla}[/itex] [itex]\cdot[/itex] [itex]\vec{E}[/itex]) dV = [itex]\underbrace{∫...∫}_{n}[/itex] ρ dV

I feel like I'm on the right track. And the approach would be the same for the point charges, except I would be using a radius r > R since the points charge is essentially the limit of the sphere charge as it approaches 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook