1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Waves (concept)

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the electromagnetic wave traveling in the y direction at velocity c:

B = +cEo sin(k y − ω t) ˆi.

a) What happens to the ratio of the electric to magnetic field if the angular velocity ω of the
    wave is decreased? Does it decrease, increase, or remain the same?

b) What happens to the velocity of the wave if the angular velocity ω of the wave is decreased? Does the velocity decrease, increase, or remain the same?

c) What happens to the the wavelength of the wave if the angular velocity ω of the wave is
    decreased? Does the wavelength decrease, increase, or remain the same?

2. Relevant equations

E/B = v
    v= ω/k
    λ/c = 2*π/ω

3. The attempt at a solution

a) My guess: Since v= ω/k, decreasing ω would decrease v. So, if E/B = v, and v is decreasing, E/B also decreases. I think the ratio decreases. (INCORRECT)

b) My guess: Since v=ω/k, velocity decreases as ω decreases. I think the velocity decreases.

c) My guess: Wavelength is inversely related to angular velocity by λ/c = 2*π/ω. So, if angular velocity decreases, the wavelength increases. I think the wavelength increases.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

All electromagnetic waves in vacuum travel at the speed of light c regardless of their frequency or wavelength. Start from there and reconsider your answers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook