Electromagnetism calculation help

In summary, the discussion is about achieving a specific acceleration for an electron in an inertial frame T. The question is how to specify the directions of the electric and magnetic fields to achieve this acceleration, and why these choices are unique. It is suggested to use the Lorentz force to determine the appropriate direction for the fields.
cleggy

An electron is traveling in the +ve x-direction of an inertial frame T. An acceleration is given to the electron in the +ve y-direction with as large as magnitude as possible.

How do I specify directions of the electric and magnetic fields that will achieve this?

Why are the choice of field directions unique?

Surely the elctric field is pointing in the -ve y direction but not sure about the magnetic field.

I'm not sure though. Also have no clue why it would be unique!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi cleggy! Welcome to PF! :smile:
cleggy said:
An electron is traveling in the +ve x-direction of an inertial frame T. An acceleration is given to the electron in the +ve y-direction with as large as magnitude as possible.

How do I specify directions of the electric and magnetic fields that will achieve this?

Why are the choice of field directions unique?

I'm confused … is this two separate questions, a) for a purely electric field and b) for a purely magnetic field, or is it for one joint field? :confused:

If the former, then use the force! :biggrin:

(that's the Lorentz force, of course :wink:)​

I can provide some insight and guidance on the topic of electromagnetism and the calculation of electric and magnetic fields.

Firstly, in order to achieve an acceleration in the +ve y-direction, both the electric and magnetic fields must be present and perpendicular to each other. This is known as the right-hand rule, where the direction of acceleration is determined by the cross product of the electric and magnetic fields.

In order to specify the directions of the electric and magnetic fields, we need to consider the Lorentz force law, which states that the force on a charged particle is equal to the charge of the particle multiplied by the electric field plus the cross product of the particle's velocity and the magnetic field.

To achieve the largest possible acceleration, we would want the electric field to be as large as possible in the -ve y-direction and the magnetic field to be as large as possible in the +ve x-direction. This would result in the maximum force on the electron, causing it to accelerate in the +ve y-direction.

The choice of field directions is unique because any other combination of electric and magnetic field directions would result in a different force and therefore a different acceleration. This is due to the vector nature of electric and magnetic fields, where their direction and magnitude have a significant impact on the resulting force and acceleration.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of electromagnetism and the calculation of electric and magnetic fields. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. As scientists, we are always happy to help further understanding and knowledge in our fields of expertise.

1. What is electromagnetism calculation?

Electromagnetism calculation is the process of using mathematical equations and formulas to determine the behavior and properties of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with charged particles.

2. Why is electromagnetism calculation important in science?

Electromagnetism calculation is important in science because it helps us understand and predict how electricity and magnetism interact with each other and with matter. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as physics, engineering, and electronics.

3. What are some common applications of electromagnetism calculation?

Electromagnetism calculation has many practical applications, such as designing electrical circuits, developing new technologies like motors and generators, and understanding the behavior of light and other electromagnetic waves.

4. What are the main principles of electromagnetism calculation?

The main principles of electromagnetism calculation are the laws of electricity and magnetism, such as Coulomb's Law, Gauss's Law, and Faraday's Law. These principles help us understand and quantify the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

5. How can I improve my electromagnetism calculation skills?

To improve your electromagnetism calculation skills, you can practice solving problems and using mathematical equations related to electricity and magnetism. You can also seek out resources, such as textbooks and online tutorials, to learn more about the principles and applications of electromagnetism.