ELECTROMAGNETISM-torque on a current coil

In summary, a circular coil with 50 turns and a radius of 0.2m, carrying a current of 5A, experiences a maximum torque of 6pi Nm in a magnetic field with a magnetic induction of 0.6 Web/m^2. The angle for maximum torque is typically defined as 90 degrees, but in this case, it is assumed to be 0 degrees. The standard unit for torque is Newton-meter or web-A.
jsalapide
A circular coil of 50 turns has a radius of 0.2m and carries a current of 5A. The coil is in a field where the magnetic induction is 0.6 Web/m^2. What is the max torque on the coil?

I used the formula for the torque on a coil: r=NBIAcos(theta)
I assume that the angle for max torque is 0
my answer is 6pi..

is that right?
is it ok to let the angle be 0??

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks OK to me.

I'm not sure how you defined your angle theta. Usually it's defined as the angle between the area vector (normal to the plane of the coil) and the magnetic field, in which case the torque is given by μ X B = NIAB sin(theta). Using that definition, the torque is maximum when theta = 90 degrees.

Ah.. my theta is the angle between the plane of the coil and the field

anyways,, thanks..

how about the unit? Is it web-A?

jsalapide said:
how about the unit? Is it web-A?
The standard unit for torque is Newton-meter (which is equivalent to web-A).

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force of nature that combines electricity and magnetism. It is responsible for the behavior of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, and the production of magnetic fields.

2. What is torque on a current coil?

Torque on a current coil is the force that causes the coil to rotate when placed in a magnetic field. It is a result of the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric current flowing through the coil.

3. How is torque on a current coil calculated?

The torque on a current coil can be calculated using the equation T = NIABsinθ, where N is the number of turns in the coil, I is the current flowing through the coil, B is the strength of the magnetic field, A is the area of the coil, and θ is the angle between the magnetic field and the plane of the coil.

4. What factors affect the torque on a current coil?

The torque on a current coil is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the current flowing through the coil, the number of turns in the coil, the area of the coil, and the angle between the magnetic field and the plane of the coil.

5. How is torque on a current coil used in real life?

The torque on a current coil is used in a variety of applications, such as electric motors, generators, and electromechanical devices. It is also used in scientific experiments to measure the strength of magnetic fields and the properties of materials.