Calculating Induced Current in a Coil Surrounding a Changing Current Solenoid

In summary, the current in the solenoid changes at a constant rate from 0 A to 2.0 A in 0.10 s, causing a change in the magnetic field around the solenoid.
ooohffff

Homework Statement

A coil with 140 turns, a radius of 5.2 cm, and a resistance of 11.0 Ω surrounds a solenoid with 200 turns/cm and a radius of 4.5 cm. The current in the solenoid changes at a constant rate from 0 A to 2.0 A in 0.10 s. Calculate the magnitude and direction of the induced current in the 140-coil.

Homework Equations

EMF = -N (dφ/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

Iind = EMF/ R of the coil, due to Ohm's law.

So I know that I should find the EMF of the coil using
EMF = -N (dφ/dt) = -N (A) (dB/ dt)

I should find dB/dt, but I'm not totally sure how. I think I could use the magnetic field formula for a ring at the center maybe B= (μ0I) / (2 rcoil) , where the current, I , is changing due to the solenoid?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know many will find this a stupid question but is the coil with the 140 turns forming a close loop between its two ends? Can you provide some sort of schematic to let us see how exactly the two coils are.
Anyway if the coils configuration is as I think it is, then you should indeed try to find dB/dt (have in mind that as area A you should take the area of the solenoid(the coil with the 200turns/cm) not the area of the coil with the radius of 5.2cm). I believe you should use the formula ##B=\mu_0I\frac{n}{L}## where ##\frac{n}{L}=200## .

Yes, I forgot to post the picture.
29-p-067.gif

Great I got the answer (see below). Could you clarify though, why I would use the area of the solenoid versus the single coil?

Bsolenoid = μ0 I (N/L)
dB/dt = μ0(dI/dt)(N/L)
EMF = Ncoil (dB/dt) Asolenoid = Ncoil0(dI/dt)(N/L) ] A solenoid = .44768V
Iind = .44768V/ 11Ω = .04069A

Because that's exactly the area where the magnetic field varies with time. Outside that area there is magnetic field (which is caused by the induced current on the 140 turn coil) but since the induced current is constant that magnetic field is constant too.

Delta² said:
Because that's exactly the area where the magnetic field varies with time. Outside that area there is magnetic field (which is caused by the induced current on the 140 turn coil) but since the induced current is constant that magnetic field is constant too.

Ah, got it. Thanks!

1. What is "induced current"?

Induced current is an electrical current that is created in a conductor due to a changing magnetic field. It is also known as electromagnetic induction.

2. How is induced current different from regular electric current?

The main difference between induced current and regular electric current is that induced current is caused by a changing magnetic field, while regular electric current is caused by a steady flow of electrons through a conductor.

3. What factors affect the strength of induced current?

The strength of induced current is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the rate at which the magnetic field changes, and the properties of the conductor, such as its length and material.

4. How can I find the direction of induced current?

The direction of induced current can be found using the right hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the changing magnetic field and curl your fingers. The direction your fingers point is the direction of the induced current.

5. How is induced current used in everyday life?

Induced current is used in a variety of everyday devices such as generators, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in wireless charging technology and in some medical devices, such as pacemakers.