1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The sensitivity of the galvanometer

Tags:
  1. May 21, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    AsKyV.jpg
    2. Relevant equations
    sensitivity= θ/i

3. The attempt at a solution
    That's the answer in my text book:
    Sensitivity = θ/i = 60/30 = 2 deg/mA

But I wonder why it used the angle 60 (the angle between the coil face and the field lines) instead of the angle 30 (the angle between the normal to the coil and the field lines)?
    The text book defines the sensitivity of the galvanometer as:
    "The scale deflection per unit current intensity passing through its coil."

I think that the scale deflection is related to the torque (in case of a current carring coil rotates in a magnetic field) and according to its formula:
    τ=BiAN sinθ (where B is the magnetic flux density, i is current intensity, A is the cross section area, N is the number of turns and θ is the angle between the normal to the plane and the magnetic field lines).
    I think we need to use the angle (30) to determine the sensitivity of the galvanometer, right?

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2017 #2

cnh1995

Homework Helper

I believe θ in sensitivity is the angular displacement of the pointer (or the moving coil).
    At zero current, the angle between face of the coil and magnetic field lines is zero.

4. May 21, 2017 #3
    Then we should use the angle 60?!

5. May 21, 2017 #4

cnh1995

Homework Helper

Yes. Because the angular displacement of the face of the coil will be equal to the angular displacement of the normal to the plane of the coil. So if the face of the coil moves through 60 degrees, the normal too moves through 60 degrees. Hence, its angle reduces to 30 degrees from initial 90 degrees.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted