1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron accelerated between plates

1. Feb 3, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An electron is accelerated horizontally from rest in a television picture tube by a potential difference of 6380 V. It then passes between two horizontal plates 2.55 cm long and 5.47 cm apart that have a potential difference of 118 V. At what angle θ will the electron be traveling after it passes between the plates?

2. Relevant equations

Kinematics equations, E=F/q, V=PE/q, V= -Ed

3. The attempt at a solution

I first used conservation of energy to solve for the horizontal speed, Vq = (1/2)mv^2, to get 4.73E7 m/s. I then used that to find the time in between the plates, v = x/t getting t = 5.39E-10 s. Then I found the force due to the plates, F=Eq=-Vq/d= 3.45E-16 N = ma. Using this with the mass of the electron I solved for a, the vertical acceleration, to get a = 3.79E14 m/s^2 = (final vertical speed - initial vertical speed)/t. Since initial vertical speed = 0, a = v/t and I got the final vertical speed as 2.04E5 m/s. I then used (final speed)^2 = (initial speed)^2 +2ay to solve for y as the vertical distance travelled, which I got as 5.50E-5 m. I then set up a triangle so that tanθ = y/x = (5.50E-5)/(0.0255), and I finished with θ=0.124. This is the wrong answer, though and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Any elucidation is much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2014 #2
    Just kidding, I figured it out. I need to use the final horizontal and vertical velocities, not distances, to find the angle.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted