1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Clebsch-Gordon coefficients

1. Feb 18, 2015 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The state of an electron is,

|Psi> =a|l =2, m=0> ⊗ |up> + Psi =a|l =2, m=1> ⊗ |down>,

a and b are constants with |a|2 + |b|2 = 1
    choose a and b such that |Psi> is an eigenstate of the following operators: L2, S2, J2 and Jz.

The attempt at a solution

I am really not sure where to start on this, i have tried reading through previous threads on the coefficients and i am still confused.

For a start does the statement above mean that the wavefunction describes both a spin up and spin down arrangement, both of which are possible at any time? And do i need to treat this as two particles, one spin up and one spin down?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2015 #2
    Anyone got any ideas that could help?

4. Feb 19, 2015 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It simply means that your electron is in a superposition between two states, one which has orbital angular momentum 2 with orbital angular momentum z-component 0 and spin up and another which has orbital angular momentum 2, orbital angular momentum z-component 1, and spin down. Your task is to adjust the linear combination such that the resulting state is an eigenstate of the list of operators.

As a first step, do you know how these operators act on this state?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted