Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron in a well: energies are quantized or not?

1. Jan 27, 2008 #1
    hi, I'm new on this forum, and I don't know english very well (sorry). maybe you can clarify me about this doubt. an electron in a well with infinite walls has a discrete set of energies, right? but if the lenght of the well is infinite, what can I say about energy state density? is it uniform (as energy state density of a free electron: that's reasonable, as a well of infinite lenght should simulate this situation), or not? calculus seems to avvalorate this second hypothesis...

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2008 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A finite well will have a finite number of allowed states associated with it and the energy density will be a series of delta functions.

4. Jan 27, 2008 #3
    right, but in an infinite well such series becomes a continous energy density because energy levels addensate: try to imagine...

5. Jan 27, 2008 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

addensate? :confused:

6. Jan 27, 2008 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The infinite well never has a continuous series of energy states, only discrete states..

I'm with jtbell, "addensate"????

7. Jan 27, 2008 #6

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I think he's referring to an infinitely wide well, not an infinitely deep one.

8. Jan 27, 2008 #7

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the Latin roots, "addensate" should mean "to make more dense". Is your first language Italian, by any chance?

9. Jan 28, 2008 #8
    yes, addensate=to make more dense! sorry, I thought this word exist in English. I'm referring to an infinitely wide well, not necessarily infinitely deep one: this should represent the free space. the question is: why energies in this case aren't distributed uniformly? for example, in a 3D-infinitely deep well energy density is an increasing function (right, energy states doesn't form a continous set, but a dense set not uniformly distributed when width is infinite)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?