Electron in a well: energies are quantized or not?

In summary, the conversation discussed the energy states of an electron in a well with infinite walls. In a finite well, there is a finite number of allowed states and the energy density is a series of delta functions. However, in an infinite well, the energy levels "addensate" and become a continuous energy density. The conversation also delved into the concept of an infinitely wide well and its effect on energy distribution.
no_math_plz
hi, I'm new on this forum, and I don't know english very well (sorry). maybe you can clarify me about this doubt. an electron in a well with infinite walls has a discrete set of energies, right? but if the length of the well is infinite, what can I say about energy state density? is it uniform (as energy state density of a free electron: that's reasonable, as a well of infinite length should simulate this situation), or not? calculus seems to avvalorate this second hypothesis...

Physics news on Phys.org
A finite well will have a finite number of allowed states associated with it and the energy density will be a series of delta functions.

right, but in an infinite well such series becomes a continuous energy density because energy levels addensate: try to imagine...

addensate? :confused:

no_math_please said:
right, but in an infinite well such series becomes a continuous energy density because energy levels addensate: try to imagine...

The infinite well never has a continuous series of energy states, only discrete states..

I'm with jtbell, "addensate"?

I think he's referring to an infinitely wide well, not an infinitely deep one.

From the Latin roots, "addensate" should mean "to make more dense". Is your first language Italian, by any chance?

yes, addensate=to make more dense! sorry, I thought this word exist in English. I'm referring to an infinitely wide well, not necessarily infinitely deep one: this should represent the free space. the question is: why energies in this case aren't distributed uniformly? for example, in a 3D-infinitely deep well energy density is an increasing function (right, energy states doesn't form a continuous set, but a dense set not uniformly distributed when width is infinite)

Last edited:

1. Is the energy of an electron in a well quantized?

Yes, the energy of an electron in a well is quantized. This means that the electron can only occupy certain discrete energy levels within the well.

2. What does it mean for the energy of an electron to be quantized?

Quantized energy means that the electron's energy can only exist at specific values, rather than being able to have any energy value within the well.

3. How is the energy of an electron in a well determined?

The energy of an electron in a well is determined by the size and shape of the well, as well as the properties of the electron itself, such as its mass and charge.

4. Can the energy levels of an electron in a well be changed?

Yes, the energy levels of an electron in a well can be changed by altering the properties of the well, such as its depth or width. Additionally, external forces such as electric or magnetic fields can also affect the energy levels.

5. What is the significance of quantized energy levels in an electron in a well?

The quantized energy levels in an electron in a well have important implications in various fields of science, such as quantum mechanics and solid state physics. They help explain phenomena such as the stability of atoms and the behavior of semiconductors.