Light & Electron Energy: Comparing Quantized Energies

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantized energy levels for electrons and photons. While electrons can only jump between specific energy levels with no intermediaries, photons can have a continuous range of energies, unless they are emitted by transitions between atomic energy levels. The topic of gravitational redshift is also mentioned as a case where the energy of photons can change.
Gabriel Hoshino
I was reading a section of a chemistry textbook describing electron energy shells. It compares the electrons to light saying that electrons energies are quantized and so are light energies. Electrons can only jump from one specific energy level to another with no intermediary energy levels. I understand that the same is true for the intensity of light, but I still don't understand how the energy of a photon can have only specific amounts of energy like an electron. Aren't there an infinite number of intermediary frequencies in between two frequencies of light? If that is true than doesn't that mean that the energy of photons doesn't skip around like the energy of electrons? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
When light of a particular frequency interacts with anything, it transfers its energy in discrete amounts that are proportional to that frequency. We call this discrete chunks "photons".

But can photons have any energy, or are they like electrons where they can only skip between energy states?

In general, photons can have any energy. The light emitted by an incandescent light bulb contains photons with a continuous range of energies. Photons that are emitted by transitions between atomic energy levels in a specific type of atom (e.g. in a gas-discharge tube) can have only energies that equal the difference between two of the energy levels.

Gabriel Hoshino said:
But can photons have any energy, or are they like electrons where they can only skip between energy states?

Any given photon has only one energy (setting aside for now the phenomenon of gravitational redshift). You can absorb it and then emit another photon with a different energy, but you can't just change the energy of the same photon.

(I should add that we're on very shaky ground even talking about "the same photon" - these aren't like little teeny grains of sand with a distinct existence of their own)

Nugatory said:
You can absorb it and then emit another photon with a different energy, but you can't just change the energy of the same photon.

That is what I thought too, but the Wikipedia article on CMB says, "The photons that existed at the time of photon decoupling have been propagating ever since, though growing fainter and less energetic, since the expansion of space causes their wavelength to increase over time". I have been having trouble understanding the CMB on a per photon basis.

anorlunda said:
That is what I thought too, but the Wikipedia article on CMB says...

That's one of the gravitational red shift cases that I didn't want to mess with. :)

In fact, that wikipedia article might be improved if it didn't use the word "photon" in that context, just spoke of radiation propagating outwards and being redshifted.

Awesome, thanks for all of your responses!

1. What is the difference between light and electron energy?

The main difference between light and electron energy is that light is a form of electromagnetic radiation, while electrons are subatomic particles that carry energy. Light is made up of photons, which have no mass, while electrons have a mass and a negative charge. Additionally, light travels at a constant speed in a vacuum, while electrons can be slowed down or even stopped by various obstacles.

2. How are light and electron energies quantized?

In quantum mechanics, energy is quantized, meaning it can only exist in discrete amounts. Both light and electron energies are quantized because they are composed of particles (photons and electrons, respectively) that can only exist at certain energy levels. These energy levels are determined by the properties of the particles and the physical laws that govern their behavior.

3. Can light and electron energies be compared?

Yes, light and electron energies can be compared by using the concept of Planck's constant. This constant relates the energy of a photon to its frequency, and the energy of an electron to its wavelength. By using this constant, we can compare the energies of photons and electrons and see how they relate to each other.

4. How does the quantization of light and electron energies affect their behavior?

The quantization of light and electron energies has a significant impact on their behavior. For example, the discrete energy levels of electrons in an atom determine the elements' chemical properties. The quantization of light energy also explains phenomena such as the photoelectric effect, where electrons are emitted from a metal surface when exposed to light of a certain frequency.

5. What are some real-world applications of the quantization of light and electron energies?

The quantization of light and electron energies has many practical applications in technology and medicine. For example, the principles of quantized energy levels are used in the design of lasers, solar cells, and LED lights. In medicine, the quantization of electron energies is utilized in imaging techniques such as X-rays and CT scans. Additionally, the quantization of light energy is the basis for technologies such as fiber optics and data transmission through optical fibers.