Electron motion after collision in a magnetic field

In summary: I'm not sure what else you'd call it, but it's not simple anymore.In summary, Squaring the conservation of momentum equation gives $$(\vec P_0)^2 = \left( \vec P_1 + \vec P_2 \right)^2$$ or $$P_0^2 = P_1^2 + P_2^2 + 2 \vec P_1 \cdot \vec P_2 \;\;\;\;\; [\rm {eq \; 2}]$$Comparing eq. 1 and eq. 2 shows that ##\vec P_1 \cdot \vec P_2 = 0##
jjson775
Homework Statement
One electron collides elastically with another electron at rest. After their collision, the radii of their trajectories are 1.00 cm and 2.40 cm. The trajectories are perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.044T. Determine the energy in KeV of the incident electron.
Relevant Equations
r = mv/qB
Isn‘t this a straightforward problem of conservation of momentum? See attached.
2ABCB46D-7841-47C5-AA39-0BE88C1CF319.jpeg

Physics news on Phys.org
Although momentum will be conserved in the collision, the collision is not necessarily a "head on" collision. Immediately after the collision, the two electrons are not necessarily moving along the same line. Since momentum is a vector quantity, the initial momentum of the incoming electron is the vector sum of the two outgoing momentum vectors. There is not enough information given about the directions of the outgoing momenta to use conservation of momentum.

But note that your are given that the collision is elastic.

TSny said:
There is not enough information given about the directions of the outgoing momenta to use conservation of momentum.
When two equal masses collide elastically head-on, they exchange velocities. This cannot be the case here because we are told that both electrons move after the collision. Therefore, the collision is not head-on.

When two equal masses collide elastically not head-on with the target mass at rest, the angle between the final velocities (in the lab frame) is 90o as required by momentum conservation and the Pythagorean theorem.

To @jjson775 : You need to rethink your approach given that the collision is not head-on.

Likes TSny
kuruman said:
When two equal masses collide elastically not head-on with the target mass at rest, the angle between the final velocities (in the lab frame) is 90o as required by momentum conservation and the Pythagorean theorem.
Yes, using these facts about elastic collisions of equal-mass particles, you can deduce the directions of the individual momenta of the two electrons immediately after the collision. Nice.

But it seems to me that it's easier to solve the problem using only conservation of energy.

I added the kinetic energy (a scalar quantity) of the 2 electrons and immediately got the right answer. The problem statement gave no information about the momenta after the collision so no way to add the vectors. Thanks

Likes TSny
TSny said:
But it seems to me that it's easier to solve the problem using only conservation of energy.
Not really, both are equally easy because the energy conservation solution morphs into the momentum conservation solution. One doesn't need the angles of the final momenta relative to the direction of the initial momentum, the Pythagorean theorem takes care of that. Of course, both approaches require finding the final speeds from the trajectories.
Energy conservation $$\frac{P_0^2}{2m}=\frac{P_1^2}{2m}+\frac{P_2^2}{2m}$$ Momentum conservation $$\frac{P_0^2}{\cancel{2m}}=\frac{P_1^2}{\cancel{2m}}+\frac{P_2^2}{\cancel{2m}}.$$

Last edited:
kuruman said:
Not really, both are equally easy because the energy conservation solution morphs into the momentum conservation solution. One doesn't need the angles of the final momenta relative to the direction of the initial momentum, the Pythagorean theorem takes care of that. Of course, both approaches require finding the final speeds from the trajectories.
Energy conservation $$\frac{P_0^2}{2m}=\frac{P_1^2}{2m}+\frac{P_2^2}{2m}$$ Momentum conservation $$\frac{P_0^2}{\cancel{2m}}=\frac{P_1^2}{\cancel{2m}}+\frac{P_2^2}{\cancel{2m}}.$$
Yes, I see. Writing the momentum conservation as ##P_0^2 = P_1^2 + P_2^2## does require knowing that the final directions are perpendicular. But that's fine. Good.

kuruman said:
That’s right. I did not consider this.

So if I 've understood well, a consequence of the collision being elastic is that the velocities after the collision are perpendicular, right?

The question I want desperately but being afraid to ask: How two point particles collide but not with a "head on " collision

Likes TSny
Delta2 said:
The question I want desperately but being afraid to ask: How two point particles collide but not with a "head on " collision
Shhh ...You're not allowed to ask that :oldsmile:

• Love
Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
So if I 've understood well, a consequence of the collision being elastic is that the velocities after the collision are perpendicular, right?
Yes. It's a consequence of

1. elastic collision
2. one particle is at rest before collision
3. the two particles have same mass

@kuruman has essentially provided a proof. If ##\vec P_0## is the momentum of the moving particle before the collsion and ##\vec P_1## and ##\vec P_2## the momenta after the collision then conservation of energy can be written as $$\frac{P_0^2}{2m} = \frac{P_1^2}{2m}+ \frac{P_2^2}{2m}$$ or $$P_0^2 = P_1^2 + P_2^2 \;\;\;\;\; [\rm {eq \; 1}]$$

"Squaring" the conservation of momentum equation gives $$(\vec P_0)^2 = \left( \vec P_1 + \vec P_2 \right)^2$$ or $$P_0^2 = P_1^2 + P_2^2 + 2 \vec P_1 \cdot \vec P_2 \;\;\;\;\; [\rm {eq \; 2}]$$

Comparing eq. 1 and eq. 2 shows that ##\vec P_1 \cdot \vec P_2 = 0##

Edit: This proof assumes Newtonian mechanics. For relativistic speeds, the final momenta will not generally be perpendicular. For the numbers in this problem, I find that the incoming electron actually has a speed of ##.56c##. So, we're encroaching into the relativistic domain. If I didn't make any mistakes, the relativistic calculation gives an answer for the initial KE of 107 keV while the Newtonian result is 115 keV. So, they agree pretty well to 2 significant figures.

Last edited:
Likes Delta2
Delta2 said:
It's the influence of the electric fields that causes the deflection and the angle of deflection is determined by the impact parameter. A classical example is Rutherford scattering:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/rutsca.html

And, in fact, a spaceship that slingshots round a planet is also an elastic collision.

Likes Delta2 and TSny

1. How does a magnetic field affect the motion of electrons after a collision?

The presence of a magnetic field can alter the trajectory of an electron after a collision, causing it to follow a curved path rather than a straight line. This is due to the Lorentz force, which acts on charged particles in a magnetic field.

2. Can the strength of the magnetic field change the direction of electron motion after a collision?

Yes, the strength of the magnetic field can impact the degree to which an electron's path is curved after a collision. A stronger magnetic field will cause a greater deflection of the electron's trajectory.

3. How does the velocity of the electron affect its motion after a collision in a magnetic field?

The velocity of the electron plays a crucial role in determining its motion after a collision in a magnetic field. A higher velocity will result in a larger deflection of the electron's path, while a lower velocity will result in a smaller deflection.

4. Can the direction of the magnetic field change the direction of electron motion after a collision?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can impact the direction of electron motion after a collision. The Lorentz force acts perpendicular to both the velocity of the electron and the direction of the magnetic field, causing the electron to curve in a different direction depending on the orientation of the magnetic field.

5. What other factors can influence electron motion after a collision in a magnetic field?

In addition to the strength and direction of the magnetic field, other factors such as the mass and charge of the electron, as well as the type of material the collision takes place in, can also affect the motion of electrons after a collision in a magnetic field.