Electron, point charge, and surface charge

In summary, the z=0 plane is covered with a uniform surface charge density of \rho_s=10^{-9} and a point charge q=10^{-9} is located at (0,0,1). To find the position of an electron that will not move, the forces net to zero and the electric field of the surface charge is equal to the negative of the electric field of the point charge. Solving for the position of the electron, we get m=1-\sqrt{ \frac{2\varepsilon_0}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}\cdot\frac{q}{\rho_s}}, which is approximately 0.6011.
makhoma

Homework Statement

The [itex]z=0[/itex] plane is covered with the uniform surface charge density, [itex]\rho_s=10^{-9}[/itex], while at the same time the point charge [itex]q=10^{-9}[/itex] is located at (0,0,1). Where can an electron be place so if released, it will not move.

Homework Equations

[itex]\mathbf{E}(\mathbf{r})=\frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}\sum_{n=1}^N\frac{q_n(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}_n)}{\left|\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}_n\right|^3}[/itex]
[itex]\mathbf{F}=q\mathbf{E}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume that the forces will net to zero,

[itex]\mathbf{F}=e\mathbf{E}_{\rho_s}+e\mathbf{E}_q=0[/itex]
[itex]\therefore\mathbf{E}_{\rho_s}=-\mathbf{E}_q[/itex]

I know that, due to symmetry, the surface charge only acts in the z-direction. Since the point charge is given to be at (0,0,1), I expect the solution to be of the form (0,0,m). I tried using the electric field of the surface charge to be
[itex]\mathbf{E}_{\rho_s}=\frac{\rho_s}{2\varepsilon_0}[/itex]
but I am not sure that that is acceptable since there is a charge in this problem and that answer is for just the plane alone.

Not sure where to start really, other than the force equations, but after that I'm stuck as to how to go about solving this problem, any and all help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
makhoma said:
I know that, due to symmetry, the surface charge only acts in the z-direction. Since the point charge is given to be at (0,0,1), I expect the solution to be of the form (0,0,m). I tried using the electric field of the surface charge to be
[itex]\mathbf{E}_{\rho_s}=\frac{\rho_s}{2\varepsilon_0}[/itex]
but I am not sure that that is acceptable since there is a charge in this problem and that answer is for just the plane alone.

Is the plane a conductor? Will the point charge induce some charge density on the plane?

If not, why wouldn't the field due to the plane just be [itex]\mathbf{E}_{\rho_s}=\frac{\rho_s}{2\varepsilon_0}\hat{z}[/itex]?

Not sure where to start really, other than the force equations, but after that I'm stuck as to how to go about solving this problem, any and all help is appreciated!

Well, you've already posted the field of the plane...what's the field of the point charge [itex]\textbf{E}_q[/itex]? Where does [itex]\textbf{E}_{\rho_s}=-\textbf{E}_{q}[/itex]?

The electric field of the point charge is
[itex] \mathbf{E}=\frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}\cdot\frac{q(0\mathbf{x}+0\mathbf{y}+(1-m)\mathbf{z})}{\left((0)^2+(0)^2+(1-m)^2\right)^\frac{3}{2}}[/itex]
where I put the reference point at a position m, between 0 and 1 on the z-axis.
This makes the force equation
[itex]
\frac{\rho_s}{2\varepsilon_0}=-\frac{1}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}\cdot\frac{q}{(1-m)^2}
[/itex]

Solving this for m,
[itex]
m=1-\sqrt{ \frac{2\varepsilon_0}{4\pi\varepsilon_0}\cdot\frac{q}{\rho_s}}
[/itex]

This gets me m=0.6011, which I am told is the answer. Thanks for your help! I think my problem was that I was over complicating the problem by assuming that the point charge would have an effect on the surface charge (and vice versa). I'll have to remember these things as I head into grad school this year!

1. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle that carries a negative charge and orbits around the nucleus of an atom. It is one of the fundamental building blocks of matter and is responsible for many properties of atoms and molecules.

2. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical concept in which all of the electric charge is concentrated at a single point in space. It is used in simplified models to describe the behavior of electric fields and interactions between charged particles.

3. How is a point charge different from a surface charge?

A point charge is a theoretical concept, while a surface charge is a real phenomenon. Point charges have no size or shape, while surface charges are distributed over a larger area. Additionally, the electric field around a point charge is spherically symmetric, while the electric field around a surface charge can vary depending on the shape and orientation of the charged surface.

4. How are electrons related to surface charges?

Electrons are negatively charged particles and are responsible for creating surface charges. When an object gains or loses electrons, it becomes positively or negatively charged, creating a surface charge. Additionally, electrons play a crucial role in the behavior of electric fields and the movement of charges on the surface of materials.

5. What are some applications of understanding electron, point charge, and surface charge?

Understanding these concepts is crucial in many fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It allows scientists to predict and manipulate the behavior of electric fields and charged particles, leading to advancements in technology such as electronic devices, batteries, and semiconductors. Additionally, studying these concepts can help us better understand the behavior of matter and the universe at a fundamental level.