1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron speed due to magnetic field.

1. Feb 9, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

electrons emitted by a certain device are observed to travel in a circular path with a radius of 2.0cm when plaves in a uniform magnetic field whose strength is 10MN/C. What is the speed of the elctrons emitted by this device?

2. Relevant equations
    I know that 10MN/C is "b-bar" as it is called in the book. But i'm not sure what equation to use.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I attempted to use the equation Fm=q(velocity/c x B).... but im not sure what to use for the magnetic force.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2010 #2
    im not really sure about it , but i think that since these electrons are moving in a circular path in a uniform magnetic field , then using newton's 2nd Law :

qvB = m v^2/R
  4. Feb 9, 2010 #3
    Yes, the magnetic force provides the necessary centripetal force for the circular motion of the electrons.

Fm = q (v X B) = m*v2 / r
    Don't really know much about b-bar. The units should be either Tesla or Gauss.
  5. Feb 9, 2010 #4
    I believe that if the given value 10MN/C ( 10 mega newton per coulomb) , then this given value is the electric field (E) ..
  6. Feb 9, 2010 #5
    the B-bar is measured in tesla. and if the electric field vector is the one that is given, how do I find the magnetic field in order to use the equation Fm=mv^2/B if i am trying to solve for v??
  7. Feb 9, 2010 #6
    In your question, it said that "uniform magnetic field whose strength is 10MN/C" but for me that doesnt make sense? how it is a magnetic field with this unit, I know that it should be tesla, weber per meter square or volt.second per meter square but not newton per coulomb ? can you please check the question once more ?
  8. Feb 9, 2010 #7
    The magnetic field for B-Bar is definately 10MN/C
    the book says that vector B is in units of tesla which is: (N/C)(m/s^-1)
  9. Feb 9, 2010 #8
    I dont really get you!! what B-Bar supposed to mean is it the same as B?? and what is M(in 10 MN/c) ? , im sorry if I cant be helpful but if you could clarify these questions then I may can help ..
  10. Feb 9, 2010 #9
  11. Feb 9, 2010 #10
    I have checked the link you provided, but I cant see where it mentions that both E and B can be expressed in N/C unit? and I dont think that is possible for two different quantities to have the same units even if different system ..

If it is really mentioned somewhere then I apologize , and please quote from where it is mentioned .. & thanks
  12. Feb 9, 2010 #11
    That is the whole point of the CGS system. :) [tex]\vec B[/tex] is defined differently there, so that [tex]\vec B[/tex] and [tex]\vec E[/tex] have the same units. The Lorentz force in CGS units would be:

[tex]\vec F=q(\vec E+\frac{\vec v}{c} \times \vec B)[/tex]

See the link for the exact transformations in going from one unit of measurement to the other.
  13. Feb 9, 2010 #12
    hmmm I have never encounter this before .. thanks for bringing this up :) .. and I hope that sarahaha288 would be able now to solve the problem , it is just converting back B to tesla and then substituting in qvB = m v^2/R to get v ..
  14. Feb 10, 2010 #13
    thanks so much! that helped alot.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook