Proton vs electron, find the magnetic field for the electron

In summary: Yes, you can write the expression for ## \frac{v}{r}=\frac{q_1 \, B_1}{m_1}=\frac{q_2 \, B_2}{m_2} ##. Since ## \frac{v}{r} ## is the same for both cases, you can set them equal. Since you already solved it, I'm just showing what is a simpler way: ## \frac{v}{r}=\frac{q_1 \, B_1}{m_1}=\frac{q_2 \, B_2}{m_2} ##. The q's (absolute value) are
Alice7979

Homework Statement

A proton is projected perpendicularly into a magnetic field that has a magnitude of 0.30 T. The field is then adjusted so that an electron will follow a circular path of the same radius when it is projected perpendicularly into the field with the same velocity that the proton had. What is the magnitude of the field used for the electron?

Homework Equations

q electron= -1.60E-19 C
q proton= 1.60E-19 C

The Attempt at a Solution

If the velocity and radius are the same they cancel out but I can't set them equal to each other because the Bs are different, right?
F1= q1v1B1
F2= q2v2B2
What I'm i forgetting?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alice7979 said:

Homework Statement

A proton is projected perpendicularly into a magnetic field that has a magnitude of 0.30 T. The field is then adjusted so that an electron will follow a circular path of the same radius when it is projected perpendicularly into the field with the same velocity that the proton had. What is the magnitude of the field used for the electron?

Homework Equations

q electron= -1.60E-19 C
q proton= 1.60E-19 C

The Attempt at a Solution

If the velocity and radius are the same they cancel out but I can't set them equal to each other because the Bs are different, right?
F1= q1v1B1
F2= q2v2B2
What I'm i forgetting?
F=ma

ELECTRON: 9.11E-31(v^2/r) = (-1.60E-19)(B)(v)
PROTON: 1.673E-27(v^2/r) = (1.60E-19)(.3)(v)
9.11E-31(v^2/r) / (-1.60E-19)(B)(v) = 1.673E-27(v^2/r) / (1.60E-19)(.3)(v)
Belectron: -1.6E-4

Your equations for the force are for the magnitudes only. There should be no negative signs for the electron charge in it.

@Alice7979 : I have no idea what you mean by "... they cancel out.. ". It doesn't appear that you know how to tackle even the first part of the problem, and your follow-up post doesn't help at all.

1. Write down the Lorentz force equation (in symbolic form). Then at least we know that you know where to start.

2. Using the Lorentz force equation, find the magnetic force acting on the proton first.

3. Use this magnetic force as the centripetal force, and find the radius of the circular motion that the proton makes.

Now, can you prove that you are able to do the above first? Ignore the second part for the moment, because if you can't do this straightforward part, you have a bigger issue in understanding the physics here than just solving this problem.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
@Alice7979Then at least we know that you know where to start.
Your comments seem to ignore that Alice7979 has already solved the problem in post #3.

tnich said:
Your comments seem to ignore that Alice7979 has already solved the problem in post #3.

But I don't know if this is simply a plug-and-chug or if this person actually understood what needs to be done. That was why I stated that it is unclear, at least to me, if he/she is aware of what is going on.

If this is solved and the OP knows exactly what is involved, then kumbaya, we are all good!

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
But I don't know if this is simply a plug-and-chug or if this person actually understood what needs to be done. That was why I stated that it is unclear, at least to me, if he/she is aware of what is going on.

If this is solved and the OP knows exactly what is involved, then kumbaya, we are all good!

Zz.
Yea, I wasn't sure if my work was right

F=qvB ----> F= (1.60E-19)v(.30)

I don't know if I should try to find v and I don't remember how but if qB=mv/r, can I solve for v/r and do it that way?

Alice7979 said:
Yea, I wasn't sure if my work was right

F=qvB ----> F= (1.60E-19)v(.30)

I don't know if I should try to find v and I don't remember how but if qB=mv/r, can I solve for v/r and do it that way?
Yes, you can write the expression for ## \frac{v}{r}=\frac{qB}{m} ##. Since ## \frac{v}{r} ## is the same for both cases, you can set them equal. Since you already solved it, I'm just showing what is a simpler way: ## \frac{v}{r}=\frac{q_1 \, B_1}{m_1}=\frac{q_2 \, B_2}{m_2} ##. The q's (absolute value) are the same,(we're really just working with absolute values throughout this problem), so they cancel for the expression ## \frac{q_1 \, B_1}{m_1}=\frac{q_2 \, B_2}{m_2} ##. ## \\ ## (If the proton orbits clockwise, the electron will orbit counterclockwise if the sign of ## B ## is kept the same). ## \\ ## Solve for ## B_2 ##. You don't need to actually solve for the numerical value of ## \frac{v}{r} ##, but you could if you want.

Last edited:
(9.11E-31)(1.60E-19)(.3)/(1.60E-19)(1.673e-27) =1.6E-4
I got it right but the homework program doesn't work that well so I didn't really get it right had to have 3 sig figs :( Thank you though

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the difference between a proton and an electron?

A proton is a positively charged particle found in the nucleus of an atom, while an electron is a negatively charged particle that orbits the nucleus.

2. How do protons and electrons interact with magnetic fields?

Protons and electrons both have a magnetic moment, which means they can be influenced by magnetic fields. The direction and strength of their magnetic fields depend on the direction and velocity of their movement.

3. How does the magnetic field for an electron compare to that of a proton?

The magnetic field for an electron is much weaker than that of a proton. This is because the mass of an electron is significantly smaller than that of a proton, so it has a smaller magnetic moment.

4. How is the magnetic field for an electron calculated?

The magnetic field for an electron can be calculated using the formula B = (u0 * e * v)/(2 * pi * r), where u0 is the permeability of free space, e is the charge of the electron, v is its velocity, and r is the distance from the electron to the point where the magnetic field is being measured.

5. How does the magnetic field for an electron affect its behavior?

The magnetic field for an electron can affect its behavior in a number of ways. For example, it can cause the electron to change direction or to spiral around a magnetic field line. It can also cause the electron to experience a force, either attractive or repulsive, when interacting with other charged particles or magnetic fields.