1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron travel in a wire; distance

1. Oct 20, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The starter motor of a car engine draws a current of 140 A from the battery. The copper wire to the motor is 5.0 mm in diameter and 1.2 m long. The starter motor runs for 0.95 s until the car engine starts.

How far does an electron travel along the wire while the starter motor is on?

2. Relevant equations
    drift velocity= (j) / (en)
    j= current density, e=elementary charge, n=concentration of gases in material(given in book)

j= I/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I found the charge that passes through the starter motor to be 133 Coulombs. Am I suppose to incorporate the equation for drift velocity in order to find the distance?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2009 #2
    and I actually just found the current density to be 7130141.45 A/m^2 using the second equation.
    now, how am I suppose to go from this to the distance the electron travels after 0.95 seconds??

4. Nov 15, 2010 #3
    you can use simple mechanics. consider the electron a point charge moving with a uniform drift velocity and i presume you will get the solution. just don't expect me to get it for you though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook